ip4200 eeprom reset

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I just saw this info on the printer newsgroup and wanted to pass it on. I can't verify that this is a valid approach to dealing with the chipped carts and it would also wipe out other data such as the waste ink pad status, but if anyone who wants to try it and report back it would be valuable to others with the new generation of Canon printers. I'll copy it below just as it appeared from the original poster. I would stress that this is not information that I am originating!!!!!

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

Refilling can be done with no warnings. It will be need to reset
IP4200's EEPROM. Please read carefully the indications below. Do that
only if you know what are doing!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel
button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons.
The Power LED lights in green to indicate that a function is
selectable.)
2) While holding the Power button, release the resume/Cancel button.
(DO NOT release the Power button.)
3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2
times, and then release boththe Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each
time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs
light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with
Alarm LED.)
4) When the Power LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button
the specified number of time(s) setting).

Time(s) LED indication Function Remarks times Green (Power) Power off
When the print head is not installed, the carriage returns and locks in
the home position capped.
1 time Orange (Alarm) Service test print .
2 times Green (Power) EEPROM information print
3 times Orange (Alarm) EEPROM initialization
4 times Green (Power) Waste ink counter resetting
5 times Orange (Alarm) Destination settings After entering the
destination settings mode, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified
number of time(s) to select the destination. For detail, see
"Destination settings procedures" below.
6 times Green (Power) Print head deep cleaning (Cleaning of both black
and color)
7 times Orange (Alarm) Reserved
8 times Green (Power) CD / DVD check pattern
9 times Orange (Alarm) CD / DVD print position correction (horizontal:
X direction)
10 times Green (Power) CD / DVD print position correction (vertical: Y
direction)
11 to 13 times Orange, Green, Orange(Alarm, Power,Alarm) Return to the
menu selection
14 times Green (Power) Left margin correction Not usedin servicing.
15 times Orange (Alarm) Return to the menu selection

Time(s) LED indication Destination CD / DVD print
0 times Green (Power) No change of the destination
1 time Orange (Alarm) Japan Supported
2 times Green (Power) Korea Not supported
3 times Orange (Alarm) US Not supported
4 times Green (Power) Europe Supported
5 times Orange (Alarm) Australia Supported

To turn off printer (getting out of service mode), push Resume/Cancel
button - 15 times Orange (Alarm) Return to the menu selection and the
Power Off button.

I have still the original cartriges and I reffiled 5 times until now
and I don't have any problem. BTW, excepting the lack of reffiling, the
IP4200 is a great printer.

Hope to help this information.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Seems a little odd as everything we've learned about the chips is that they will still remember when they've "run out".

Call me a cynic but it just doesn't seem feasible but I'm happy to be wrong ;)

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think the proposed resetting of the eeprom refered to the main one that's part of the microcomputer operating system for the printer and part of the main board. That is probably the one holding the warning messages.

I think it probable that the chips on the carts will be slave micros that monitor the state of the ink. They would tell the main micro when the ink is spent and that information would be held in the main eeprom and a warning issued.

Resetting the EEPROM would make the main micro 'forget' until the cart ran out of ink again.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pebe said:
Resetting the EEPROM would make the main micro 'forget' until the cart ran out of ink again.
Hmm... maybe..

I'm just aware that swapping refilled cartridges across to a different printer didn't allow you to get away with it.. The new printer recognised the carts as empty or refilled and up came the warning..

Odd, but interesting.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
According to MIS, popping in a new genuine Canon will remove the warning. Now I'm wondering... what does Canon gain with this if it is true. I try and refill.... muck up printer and want to take it in on warranty that I declined when refilling. So I buy a new cartridge set install it and take it back to Canon and everything looks normal.... like an Epson. Unless the printer itself has memory that you previously declined to use originals. But on another note.
Really does make me wonder. If this is the case what has Canon really gained in all of this "chip" thing... actually a LOT. The warning is going to SPOOK 90% of consumers and that is their target not the refill diehards at home. Nobody wants to buy a "reman" cartridge unless they are told it won't affect their printer warranty. Face it ANY warning that implies the warranty will be affected will create a suspicion that it "could" do damage and that is true to some extent if the cartridge is leaky which is not too uncommon. The Chinese compatibles are the real "targets" not the refill diehards. So refill away if you're on this board.
Next stage...... Epson will adopt this system..... I can see it coming within one to two years which is in the range of the development cycle. It is easily accomplished by having the printer burn off a fusible link on the chip electronics and no resetter will be able to "fix" this. Is this too expensive... just think how cheap smartcards are and they also have similar features. The only alternative is to replace the chip. Here's where the printer mfrs are finally "catching" up by having true "smart" chips not like the Epson "intelliedge" which lost it's edge.
The reason why the chinese compatibles cannot respond to this is that the cartridge chip and printer cpu has encrypted communications which is not easily decrypted not just simple handshaking like the Epson. Again just like smartcard technology.
Canon is late in this game, they sat back and evaluated. Epson got into it early at a time when "writing" to an external chip was too costly and had to be proven it wouldn't cause too many other problems by erroneously disabling "good" cartridges. I think they reached that point that they are comfortable with neutering cartridges. Epson and HP were the guinea pigs. Again the "wave" in the next generation of printers is imminent IMO.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Will the compatible game "end" not necessarily. Has anyone taken a Canon printer apart and see if the CPU ROM on it can be "hacked" or is removeable so that it doesn't even check cartridges???????

Speedy1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
Has anyone taken a Canon printer apart and see if the CPU ROM on it can be "hacked" or is removeable so that it doesn't even check cartridges???????
What a terriffic idea! I'll take my printer apart tonight & remove all those pesky CPU's & EPROMs - then I'll rip the chips off all my carts so I won't keep getting those annoying warning messages.. or anything else ;)

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Speedy1 said:
mikling said:
Has anyone taken a Canon printer apart and see if the CPU ROM on it can be "hacked" or is removeable so that it doesn't even check cartridges???????
What a terriffic idea! I'll take my printer apart tonight & remove all those pesky CPU's & EPROMs - then I'll rip the chips off all my carts so I won't keep getting those annoying warning messages.. or anything else ;)
HUUM...This may not be a good idea. Dont u think that Canon already thought about it. :rolleyes:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Speedy1 said:
mikling said:
I beat you to it! I did this mod last night and all I have now is a REALLY BIG fountain pen! :D