iP4000R kicks out blank pages

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
My favorite printer, an iP4000R, (favorite because it has wireless), stopped working in the middle of a print run. It will only print a blank page. Nothing on a nozzle check. I assume this is an electrical problem in the printer.

Is there any hope that I can fix the iP4000R? I'm wondering if the print head blew a fuse that can be replaced. I already tried another power supply. Or another option would be if I could take a working iP4000 and combine parts from the iP4000R to get my wireless back.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It looks as if it might be curtains for your old printer George, but never say die without a fight.

You could try removing the carts and print head and then turning off the printer with the power button,
leave it for five minutes, power up and reinstall everything and see if it will work or even give you an error message.

Here is an old post on the very same thing, you might even remember it,
and sorry I cant be of any help with this one.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=17374#p17374

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Sadly I think you cannot convert a Pixma 4000 into a Pixma 4000R :( , I downloaded the parts catalog plus the supplementary service manual for the Pixma 4000R, and parts numbers for the logic boards are different for the two printers. Link to the download here: http://elektrotanya.com/canon_pixma_ip4000r.rar/download.html and instructions for downloading files from electrotanya.com here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61324#p61324

It would be very risky to test if the print head from the working Pixma 4000 would revive the Pixma 4000R, as a damaged printhead can damage the logicboard and a damaged logic board can damage a print head. But I think you already know that.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
PeterBJ said:
It would be very risky to test if the print head from the working Pixma 4000 would revive the Pixma 4000R, as a damaged printhead can damage the logicboard and a damaged logic board can damage a print head. But I think you already know that.
Yes, I did know that but I went ahead and put the print head in one of my i860 printers which I consider my guinea pigs and it behaved the same way. But then I put another print head in the i860 and it got damaged but not in the same way--it wasn't a completely blank nozzle check. Nevertheless, I now have twice as many dead printers and print heads.

I have also been having lots of problems with some of the old used printers I bought. It seems that a print head will work in them for a few minutes but then spontaneously get some electrical problems so that half or all of one or more of the colors goes dim or goes out completely. Fortunately, I have lots of partially working print heads that I can sacrifice to test my multitude of printers but it is getting very frustrating.

I'm beginning to think that the best advice whenever a printhead goes bad in one of these old printers is to just surplus the printer.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, information and advice--I won't try to fix the iP4000R.