ip4000, stopped working and shows 5 orange flashes

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the specified product life in the service manual for Pixma 4000 of 18,000 pages for both print head and printer is just an estimated life span, based on statistics. Some have experienced life spans far exceeding this value, others have had the print head fail prematurely. I don't think the printer has any built in self destruct counter/timer. So I think there is no software limit, only an expected life span.

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay answering, car problems have sidetracked me. I've also been watching the local Craigslist closely for as-is Canon printers that use the same print head but no luck with that yet.

My print head weighs in a 2.2 ounces (62.3 grams). Could you figure out the postage cost, my zip is 90290 (Topanga, California, USA). And do you have any reason to believe that the print head from your i865 wouldn't trigger the same software limit...or is it that perhaps it might work if I have a different problem?? I myself don't have any idea if it would work or not, but the odds are probably against it working. If I lived up the street from you I'd try it in a flash.

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
oops, I didn't see the post from PeterBJ before I posted. If there is no software limit, than it's more a matter of comparing symptoms to determine if the i865 print head has any chance of working in my ip4000. Currently, my printer is not printing in color, and is printing most of the time in black and white but occasionally reverting to the 5 orange flashes mode (and then not printing at all).

Is there a possibility that the logic board has failed and could be causing these symptoms?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As far as I can remember my print head only did about 12000 prints when I had to replace it,
after that and since the printer is still working fine, 11 years on.

I dont know if the software limit is in my printers EPROM or in the print head itself,
so you can take a chance with it if you like.

If your printer still works then the logic board is fine, so no worries..:)