Interesting new Epsons coming soon.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Tonight I saw two new Epson printers the Artisan series. These use stationary ink tanks that are connected to moving heads like the wide format models.
No idea of pricing but since they have factory installed CIS foundations, these will make very interesting printers. I bet their chip encryption will be tough.
They were also very fast. I imagine since the moving mass no longer includes cartridges, their heads were literally flying back and forth.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Mikling,

those printers are using the same cartridges as used in the Epson 1400 cartridges and these chips are cracked. I think this is the way to go for all new models of printers. For example allmost all Brother desktop printers, the HP B9180, the Epson Pro 3800, HP K5400 and now these Epson Artisan printers are using stationary ink tanks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I took a look at the cartridges and they were 99's. So they've changed chips for sure. I can't help but wonder though that with that small an ink capacity, if we need to clear a line, then a significant % of the cartridge capacity would be used.

I also looked at a 4x6 output in draft that took all of 10 secs. For draft it was pretty good, the head flies.
If the head incorporates some refinements like teflon coating and active meniscus control then we have a serious machine here at what will be rock bottom prices.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I believe you can not only those smaller cartridges but also the normal capacity 1400 cartridges. See this link below:

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2336&seite=1&t=zwei_flache_alleskoenner_von_epson

Below it says:

"Drucken & Drucksystem

Wie nahezu alle Stylus-Photo-Drucker arbeiten die beiden Neuvorstellungen mit sechs Druckfarben. Neben den vier Standardfarben kommen ein Hellcyan und ein Hellmagenta zum Einsatz. Alle Tinten basieren auf Farbstoffen (Claria) und sind in Einzelkartuschen untergebracht. Entgegen den Vorgngermodellen lsst Epson auch den Einsatz der hochvolumigen Patronen vom A3-Gert 1400 zu, was fr geringere Druckkosten sorgt....."

The last sentence roughly translates as: Contrary to the older models Epson let you to use the high capacity cartridges of the A3-device 1400, which should give you lower printing costs.

I presume these are the printers you are referring to ?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Just confirmed on Epson.com site these artisans use 98 and 99s. They probably do use the same physical body dimensions of all the current generation of printers of which the 1400 is one. The encryption of the chips are all different however.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Nice printers, but without resetter they are expensive to run :(

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mikling,

Can you confirm that whe are talking about the same type of AIO's ? If so then you can use the old 1400 cartridges (High Capacity) and these cartridges have alternatives for refilling.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Artisan series. This is the lowest model in that series.
http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=60785720
It uses 99 and 98 cartridges.

the R1400 series uses the 79 cartridge
http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=60230968

Now I cannot figure out why Epson MUST use different chips for different printers. I am sure this would drive retailers up the wall with an exploding number of SKUs.
No question about it the cartridges are different. Maybe, in Europe the Artisan uses the 79 series.
Maybe you could check that out for us over there.

Do note that the cartridge shells are the same, just the chips that are different.

If the chips become available, we will have a nice print engine with a built in CIS that can use both pigment and dye in a very compact body. I can already see the appropriate modifications.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mikling,

I've got these information about the printers:

Epson Stylus
PX700W Epson Stylus
PX800FW
Preis (ca.) 230 Euro 350 Euro
Drucksystem 6-Farben (Claria Dye-Tinte)
Zufhrung ber Schlauchsystem
Patronen Standard: T0801-6 (7,4 ml)
Optional: T0791-6 (11,1 ml)
Druckkopf 180 Dsen x C/M/Y/K/PC/PM
mit 5 verschiedenen Tropfengren ab 1,5 Pl

Note the optional T0791-T0796 cartridges: these are the ones used in the Epson 1400 printer

Can you confirm that the PX700W and the PX800FW are the same as the artisan printers in the USA ?

I see that the printers look very similar to the Artisan 700 and 800 in the USA:

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artike...fa_2008_epson_stylus_photo_px700w_und_px800fw

Maybe the following theory: Epson had granted steep patent protections from the administration in the USA, thus allowing them to make heavily encrypted chips for the Artisan printers, whether in the EU the European Commission has issued a guideline forbidding manufacturers to make their printers completely unrefillable. Maybe this is just market differentiation.

dparadowski

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wandering if you have found out any more information about them using the same cartridges as the R1400. Pharmacist posted that the UK version can if they are the same printer. Can we just change the firmware settings like for the cd printing on canons? I currently have a canon iP4500, and am just keeping my eyes open for new options since the new canons have new smaller cartridges.
Also, I haven't had a Epson since the R2200 and R280( I think the first Claria one). I had refillable cartridges and ink from 'print on a dime' and didn't care for the output and at the time I found a great deal on my iP4500, so I got that instead of pursuing the Epson stuff.I then heard about the no more importing of epson refillable cartridges and gave up on them. The canon has great print quality, but I would like a little more light fastness like the claria inks. Somebody mentioned that there is a workaround for the R1400 cartridges. Can you point me in the direction for that procedure? How to reset the chips and refill method.