Ink question/Printer advice

infotheory

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I didn't, but I really do appreciate the out you provided me... rarely am I given plausible deniability, haha. I thought that if you put it in slowly it would just soak into the sponge... *facepalm*

Thank you guys, I really do appreciate it! Also, I have some old innertubes I could use; great idea.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I'm thinking you should probably just buy a new Canon pigment black cartridge (PGI-5BK) and start over.
Agree!!!!!!!!!

I need to print these invitations... last week
As I see it, there are three things you want to accomplish:
1. Get invitations done ASAP
2. Learn how to refill carts to save money in the long-term
3. Save money in the short-term

Pick one ... which coincidentally is #1. My suggestion is "set the refilling challenge aside for another time".

I know I started off with an attitude of "How hard can it be to refill carts?" That was reinforced by watching a Rapid-Refill tech do several of my carts quickly and easily as I got to watch. Many, many, many hours later ... I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. The learning curve is surprisingly difficult.

Frankly, I cringed when I read that you were planning to use cork stoppers for the inlet port. My thought was "Slow down to go fast, young man. That way be demons." I thought about doing a quick reply, but it was late and it had been a very long day.

How many of these invitations do you have to print? Can you upload or provide a link to what they look like? How fancy are they? What is your budget? Your best bet might be putting together a Word document and using a copy place like Kinko's to print from a file.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Infotheory

Well, things should just get easier from now on :)

And to make it even easier for you look here for bicycle clips! ...

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5869

Before doing anything more I also suggest doing some viewing of refilling videos on the net, and searching here for info on both refill methods.

When you get into it I also suggest getting refill bottles with blunt needles, rather than filling with syringes. So much cleaner and easier.

See here for a comparison...

http://www.octoink.co.uk/pages/SquEasyFill.html

Now if things are getting tight on time I'd suggest getting blank cards and hand writing the invitations. The last thing you want is this inkjet mania spoiling the occasion, and your relationship with SWMBO ;)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
infotheory said:
The cork plug didn't fit anyways, but they are air tight.
No, they're not.

Infotheory, you're a cheapskate and a man after my own heart. You're also a guy, which tells me you need help. Remember Red Green's prayer that they use to open Possum Lodge meetings: "I'm a man. But I can change. If I have to." Take the job to Kinko's and pay them, before your wife reconsiders. Then, when you're over the big event, THEN you can play with your printer.

infotheory

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have faith my friends; the invitations are done. She did marry me for a reason, after all! :) But I have you guys to thank for leading me through it.

No, they're not.
They may not be, but I settled for a better option. I didn't have blind faith that they would, rather, I purchased that and many other options at the store.

Infotheory, you're a cheapskate and a man after my own heart.
Haha, I know I came off that way but I didn't pick cork originally because it was cheaper; the baggy of corks was set in the cart by the boss. The other cheap options were made simply because we don't have time to wait for a printer or equipment to be delivered. The only other option would have been buy a brand new printer that I would have to waste again. I proposed the idea and she turned it down so I stepped up to fix it on my own. I couldn't have done it without the help from the community though, so, thank you all!

By the way, l_d_allan, I was lucky enough this time I suppose. Nozzle check was spot on the first run, carts are full, and no leaking!

And to make it even easier for you look here for bicycle clips! ...
Very cool, thank you! I am definitely going to give that a shot.

I am sure problems will arise with this setup eventually and I am excited to tackle those problems as they come.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
infotheory said:
Have faith my friends; the invitations are done.
Super!
I'm almost tempted to supply my mailing address and ask for an invitation. You appear to be S&GTD ... smart and gets things done.

Maybe scan and post an invitation "when the dust settles".

Ahhh ... the confidence and energy of youth. Enjoy!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I figured you were a cheapskate not because of the cork, but because you printed them yourself, even though you were on a tight schedule and didn't even have a working printer; and because you took the time to buy ink and learn to refill while the clock was ticking, rather than just buying OEM ink. Well done. :)

infotheory

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I figured you were a cheapskate not because of the cork, but because you printed them yourself, even though you were on a tight schedule and didn't even have a working printer; and because you took the time to buy ink and learn to refill while the clock was ticking, rather than just buying OEM ink. Well done. smile
Haha! Okay, good points, I suppose you're right :)
Super!
I'm almost tempted to supply my mailing address and ask for an invitation. You appear to be S&GTD ... smart and gets things done.

Maybe scan and post an invitation "when the dust settles".

Ahhh ... the confidence and energy of youth. Enjoy!
Too funny, thanks mate. Colorado is pretty far away so you might not have enough money left over to buy me a good present! Haha