Ink question/Printer advice

infotheory

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello!

I am in dire need of a new printer. I made the mistake of buying a Lexmark x2670 and I probably don't have to say any more... My wife and I are renewing our vows and have waited a bit too long to get invitations ready so we're scrambling to get them out ASAP. However, we're stuck with non-refillable ink cartridges and a bunch of ink I ordered online.

I am using craigslist to find a printer because we need it ASAP and can't wait for shipping and I was using this page as a reference:

(It won't let me post URLs so here is the ID to the thread on these forums)
?id=1830

BJC-3000 Series,BJC-6000,i450,i550,i560 Series,i850 Series,i860 Series,MultiPASS C555,MultiPASS C755,MultiPASS F30
MultiPASS F50,MultiPASS F60,MultiPASS F80,MultiPASS MP700,MultiPASS MP730,PIXMA iP3000,PIXMA iP4000,PIXMA iP4000R
PIXMA iP5000,PIXMA MP750,PIXMA MP760,PIXMA MP780,S400,S450,S500,S520,S530D,S600,S630,S630 Network,S750.
However, I can't find any of those near by so I have limited options. I was hoping that someone would be able to help me figure a couple things out:

1) Is there a difference between cli-221 and cl-221 cartridges or is one of them simply an improper way of writing it? The reason I ask is the following thread on the German refilling method lists 'CLI-221/521/821' and other cartridges as refillable using that method. However, I've found printers that use CL-221 and none that are listed to suggest they use CLI-221. One printer I found on Craigslist was the Canon MX320; Are those cartridges candidates for refill?

(It won't let me post URLs so here is the ID to the thread on these forums)
?id=4315

2) Assuming I have no luck on the above question it would be hugely helpful if someone could provide guidance as to which Canon printer I should go after from the short list available to me on Craigslist. I've done 5-6 hours of searching and am having a hard time finding one that will be refillable.

MX320
Pixma ip1700
MP250
BjC 250
iP2600
BjC 2114
Pixma ip1800
MP390
Pixma 495
ip 3500m
MP500

As far as features go as long as it can print B&W and basic colors of a reasonable quality, nothing particularly special, that is fine with me. I have a printer/fax/scanner but if the printer is refillable and it happens to have a scanner on top it really doesn't bother me.

Sorry for the wall of text but I try to provide all necessary details up front. It is, afterall, a time sensitive matter.

Thank you for your time and for the guidance already provided on these forums!
~Mark

Update:

I called Canon and found out that there is a major difference between the CLI-221 and CL-221 cartridges. Hopefully I can find a workaround! Any advice on which of the above printers to use?

Thanks again!

infotheory

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Allan. There is a large list of refillable printers on the forums, but none of those are available locally that I can find which is my problem. However, I was able to find an ip 3500 at a local goodwill for $8 that had a full set of ink in it. I think this is refillable so it's just time to read up on maintenance now.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Just did a quick check about the iP3500 (who can keep track of all the model numbers ...)

Looks like a very nice printer. Count your blessings and I hope the vow renewal goes well.

IMO, CLI-8 based printers (like the iP3500) are best for refilling. Unless your expectations of photo printing are somewhat high, the lack of black dye isn't all that much of a liability, and almost an asset wrt being simpler and holding start-up costs down.

My speculation is that if you do a lot of photo printing, having only 1600 total nozzles will result in somewhat slow printing ... which may be a "who cares" depending on your situation.

Hope it isn't clogged, or if it does have clogs, they are easily resolved.

Perhaps post a nozzle check once you have it operational? You may or may not have come across threads that strongly advise not printing until the nozzle check is good. That is very, very good advice that many on this forum wish they'd been aware of much sooner than they were.

Another observation ... just because it has a full set of ink carts doesn't mean it has ok ink. Could be junk ink in junk carts, especially the PGI-8-Black cart used for text printing.

If the cartridges are obviously Canon oem with no evidence of having been refilled, then you may be "golden". Otherwise (and more likely), it may have problematic ink in non Canon compatible carts. Then proceed with caution.

BTW:
Is Lansing MI a college town? That might explain you having lots of choices as the semester winds down. Some graduating students treat inkjets as disposables. We don't have a large university here in C. Springs, but there are several colleges locally. Might make sense to post an ad in the student paper or commons ... WTB: clogged and/or empty CLI-8 based printer for $10 or less.

infotheory

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The cartridges are Canon OEM and have definitely not been refilled. I was surprised that it turned on, honestly, but so far so good. You really can't go wrong with an $8 printer with ink in it. My expectations of photo printing are not high. I'm a college student and it will be used for school-work and being far from an art major I won't have any problems.

Where is a good place to read up on nozzle checks? I will do a search but I might as well bring it up now that I'm responding.

Yes, Lansing is a college town and I suspect that you're right on with regard to my wide selection of printers on Craigslist. If this one ends up not working I'll hunt down another printer. Hopefully we can get the invitations out of it before it dies. If that's the case I'll have plenty of time to wait for shipping and/or to browse.

Other than printing, is there a way to check or even gauge the quality of ink? If not, are there any warning signs? The ink looks consistent and the foam pad where it draws the ink out is clean and moist throughout. I did a quick check of printing black and white and it printed fine but far from perfect. The black was out (enough left in the sponge to print but no liquid in reservoir) and I figured having been out of ink and on the shelf for god knows how long I would purge the cartridge before filling it... so, it's drying now. I don't want to do a thorough test of ink until I run a nozzle check; thanks for mentioning it!

Also, I found small cork plugs much like highly miniaturized wine corks that are about 5/32" that I plan to use to plug this refill hole... I improvised a bit. I never figured out why the German method goes in on the side and punctures the foam so I simply went in at the factory refill hole on top; hopefully that's okay!

Count your blessings and I hope the vow renewal goes well.
Thank you!

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
infotheory said:
Where is a good place to read up on nozzle checks? I will do a search but I might as well bring it up now that I'm responding.
I'd start here.

Although it is for Epson rather than Canon, here is a useful page. .

To my surprise, almost all the links I came across assume you know what a nozzle check is, and how to accomplish one. I didn't come across an equivalent to "Nozzle Checks for Dummies" link.

Short version for iP4500 Canon PIXMA inkjet with no user interface. iP3500 may be more or less similar:

* Can be done with series of button pushes, but I'm fuzzy on how this is done and may vary by model.

* With Windows 7, get to Control Panel + Devices&Printers + RMB (right mouse button) on your iP3500. Probably similar for Vista, and not all that different for XP. For Mac, can't help you but ...

* "Printing Preferences" brings up the "Print Driver"
(Note I'm reusing a previously posted screen-shot, so ignore #2 and #3)

("Properties" also may have a tab for "Maintenance")

* Select "Maintenance" tab and then "Nozzle Check". Follow directions from that point on.

For Pro 9000-2 which is similar to iP4500 and perhaps similar to iP3500:

infotheory

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Oh boy, haha, I did a purge and now that I'm refilling the ink won't stop dripping from the cartridge :rolleyes: At first I figured it was due to an extra hole in the cartridge somewhere but it's still doing it after attempting to seal it up with super glue... AFAIK the only holes are the one the ink is going into and the one it's supposed to come out of. I am thinking it's one of two things because I hardly put any ink in before it started dripping (very slowly filling it):

1) Maybe the cartridge wasn't fully dry? I tried to wick out the extra water with toilet paper as seen on a guide on these forums and it sat for about 3 hours but there was definitely a little moisture visible that I assumed was there to stay.

2) Maybe I did something wrong while purging? Too much water or using a little pressure to push water through...?

------

Thank you for the links. I found the nozzle check functionality for my iP3500 (Windows XP 32bit) here:

Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> RMB on (Printer) -> Printing Preferences

So, very similar! Now that I read the simple description it makes sense. I wasn't sure, though, if this community did them manually or something like that.

------

Unfortunately I can't put this black cartridge back into the printer with it leaking out so off to do some searching for more info! Thank you for all your help! I plan to stick around here now that I've found a helpful and knowledgeable community.

Update:

So, I figured there was too much air getting through the fill hole so I taped it closed with 3 layers of electrical tape. Turns out the cartridge is sealed really well because the moment I squeezed a drop into the cartridge a drop came out the other end...

However, even when there is room for air to exit while I fill (without the tape) it's almost as if the ink runs right through the foam and, shortly after, drips out the other end... There is no ink in the reservoir and there is still white at the top of the sponge :|

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You cannot use a cork plug when you refill via the top method like you are doing. You need to have an absolutely air-tight seal or the ink will continually leak out as you are experiencing. Having to reseal the top fill hole is one reason I gave up on that method of refilling. The German method is so much easier but you need to have a 2-inch long needle. Where did you get your refill ink?

Also, do you have a cartridge resetter?

I'm thinking you should probably just buy a new Canon pigment black cartridge (PGI-5BK) and start over.

By the way, you can get your printer to do a nozzle check by holding in the top button on the front of the printer until the light on the printer flashes twice and then release it.

infotheory

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice!

The cork plug didn't fit anyways, but they are air tight. They expand once they are dampened. Maybe it would work differently with ink but I don't think I'll ever find out :) Either way, it probably wouldn't want to come out the second time around and if it did I'd expect pieces.

Before I knew better, and when I had a Lexmark, I ordered the ink from amazon. The directions I received note nanodigitalink at the bottom. I did check that the ink was the same general type before filling, but maybe there is more to it than just UV ink.

I do not have a cartridge resetter and was hoping to find a fix for this when the time came. I know almost nothing about them but I have seen them mentioned a few times. I was hoping my cartridges wouldn't need a reset but I see these are chipped.

The only benefit to getting a new cartridge now would be a sealed top. I can easily seal it up if I plan to not use the hole again. The hardest part is sealing it while still leaving it easily re-opened. I will rig it for now and use one of those silicon plugs when I get around to ordering it. Worst case I seal it and fill using the German method, but I don't have a way to create a hole in the side readily available to me and I need to print these invitations... last week :p

Is it normal for ink to leak as you fill it? I mean, should I try to fill the chamber quickly then seal the top before it leaks out? I thought I was supposed to fill slowly which creates a problem... it's dripping all over the place.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I'm sure you known about this, but... just in case...

Have you sealed the outlet port when you are refilling?

If not the ink will surely run out as until the top refill hole is sealed.

Use the orange clips that come with cartridges and hold them on with elastic bands, or if you haven't got them use adhesive tape that will stick well to the port until filling is completed. Hot glue is also effective for sealing the refill hole if you have a glue gun handy.

When you finish filling via the top fill method you should only get a couple of drops from the outlet port then it should stop.

If you search this forum you will also find details of how to use bicycle inner tubes cut into bands to seal the port.