UV flatbed printer China
Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
First up... Can you confirm that you have an Epson R90 and if you can, provide a link to that model printer as I honestly haven't heard of one.

Secondly, air going into the waste pads but no ink flow to the printhead means one of two things
1. Vent plugs not removed at reservoir end (so the air can't get in to replace ink as it's used up)
..or..
2. Air leak at the cartridge/printhead interface, cartridge tubing connections, etc..

I'd put more money on the latter than the former as I'd like to think you'd already know this but worth checking. Priming the cartridges/buffers properly to ensure ink, not air is in the outlet is a good plan but even if not they should still be working.

Cary

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
UV flatbed printer China
First off, my mistake it is Epson R290.

So I think the problem lies in the capping station and I have ordered a replacement. I noticed that the foam pad that sits under the metal piece on the cap is missing. Honestly, in my ignorance as I was learning to operate this machine, I neglected to clean the capping station with solution soon enough and when I got around to doing it, the foam was saturated in thick ink. When I put solution on the foam and then attached a syringe to the waste resevoir to pull the ink through and clean, I think the foam was so saturated with the thick ink that I sucked it through the waste tube! Anyway, I don't know why this should affect the seal when the head is at the capping station? The reason I know the problem is with the capping station is that I primed each damper to the outlet on the damper so I know there isn't a problem with the ink lines or dampers. The real test was putting cleaning solution on the cap then returning the head to the home position over the cap. I then attached the syringe to the waste ink line. I was able to pull out the solution but when it was gone, I was pulling air very easily. (No Seal)

Anyway, thanks everyone for the troubleshooting tips and I'll give an update after I replace the capping station.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
First off, my mistake it is Epson R290.
Thanks for the clarification, was left scratching my head there..

So I think the problem lies in the capping station and I have ordered a replacement. I noticed that the foam pad that sits under the metal piece on the cap is missing.
Do you have a picture of this foam? I suspect you may be making a common mistake in misinterpreting the design and materials used in the resting/cleaning/capping station/pad but I can't be sure without checking a picture of your current setup.

The reason I know the problem is with the capping station is that I primed each damper to the outlet on the damper so I know there isn't a problem with the ink lines or dampers. The real test was putting cleaning solution on the cap then returning the head to the home position over the cap. I then attached the syringe to the waste ink line. I was able to pull out the solution but when it was gone, I was pulling air very easily. (No Seal)
Hmm... it could be that the motor and/or mechanism for bringing the station and printhead into contact is not functioning properly, but again I'd need to check against another model to be sure.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the troubleshooting tips and I'll give an update after I replace the capping station.
Please do... this issue is bugging me as well now...

Cary

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
UV flatbed printer China
Here is a photo of the capping station with some notes. Can't believe the entire capping station was only$15 with free shipping?? We'll see if it gets here....

Attachments

• Bitmap in Untitled-3.jpg
    Bitmap in Untitled-3.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 503

Cary

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
UV flatbed printer China
Just a follow up. I received and installed the new capping station with a little help from a video in Chinese that I had to have translated! It went well, but unfortunately another problem (paperlight and ink light flashing simultaneously during self check) has come back and I am unable to see if it successfully solved my vacuum leak problem.