Ink Inkt cardrige replace solution for all printers ? ( canon IP4300 )

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mayby the only cheap solution ???? -

7 MARCH 2008 : below here is not the complete all there is , pls take a note and read more ideas for experiments in other paragraphs to ...

I just looking for a cardrige solution ( Canon IP4300 ) because 4/5 cardrige leds are dimmed off and need to be replaced . I just order 5 adopters ( not for this idea ) and 5 new with a new chip for all five ink cardrige . Wellknown problem : The chips uses memory and this makes it very hard to reset . But i have thinking .. mayby this is somthing ..

What you read is never done before , experimenting with this idea is all at your own risk !

Here is a simple markable solution Unique !!

A - First you need (all 5) brandnew cardrige(s) with chip(s) ( please keep all ink preventions inplace )

B - 4 poles - 2.50 meter +/- telephone cable

C - (five) (new) OEM cardrige without chips

D - Tin and a somthing to solder

E - (5) old chips using for adopting the connection to outside the printer

F - A box for the 5 new chiped cardriges

Procudure :

1 ) Make of +/- 2,50 meter 5 pcs of 50 centimeter

2 ) Solder the cable of lengt to the old chip but first remove all the (useless) electronic components and cirquite and place it on the OEM cardriges (this is now functioned as adopter)

3 ) Solder the other site of the cable to each new chiped cardrige cq / toner that still sits on the new orriginal cardriges ( our .. make a alternative feder contact if you dont want to solder )

4 ) Tape the 5 new cardriges together and *

5 ) Put it in the box and give it a save unremovable place **

6 ) Put the (5) oem cardriges with the just made clean old chip print (2) in the right ink location(s)

7 ) Now this is still to be tested but likely the printer now sees the external cardriges everytime and it stays filed !

* ) Looking into the new cardriges : this needs a box because of the intervering with the led this not only makes it nicer but mostly because of the outside light influence .

** ) Dont turn the kid upside down our shake it . If you do , the led indicates that the cardriges are empthy our low and the countdown proces for the chip will start !

I wait for the arrive of the new ones ( 7 days ) and for making it clear .. i am - NOT - intent to let - you - try and i wait for results , my thoughts : Comments in this all like to hear , and anybody who try please make a handshake !

See you soon :)

John

Netherlands

( posted this Idea on some printer sites today )

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I did a try to make a adopter but this isnt at all easy !! I need a electric ip4300 diagram to see if a inbuild is possible If someone has a electric diagram for the ip4300 ( ip5300 ) are very helpfull !

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Sirman,

I think that I understand what you are aiming for. I could be wrong.

If you think that the actual amount of ink in a Canon CLI-8 cartridge is being measured and reported by the cartridge chip, you have the wrong information.

The chip on the cartridge only stores information that the printer sends to it. That information is keeping track of the firing count of the printhead. The printhead firings are counted to do a reasonable estimation of the amount of ink consumed.

So the actual amount of ink in the cartridge doesn't matter. When the printer sees that the stored count in the chip is large enough, it states that the ink is gone. Since the information is stored in the chip , unless you can reset that chip, you will not be able to proceed printing unless you follow the printer instructions for continuing to print without computer based ink level monitoring, and at the risk of your warrantee.

There are chip resetters. These are priced way too high for individual ownership. Some refill companies have them. You might search for "remanufactured" cartridges. The OEMs like Canon work continously to defeat the resetters.

Most Forum users have decided to refill cartridges, doing without the on-screen ink monitoring, or to install CIS systems. If you refill, you must check the ink levels yourself by periodically looking at the cartridges. This works for many.

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for helping me understand the printer , no experiance so this will help me very well !

The chip on the cartridge only stores information that the printer sends to it. That information is keeping track of the firing count of the printhead. The printhead firings are counted to do a reasonable estimation of the amount of ink consumed.
Thank you , i understand that the chip have a active communication with the printerhead, lets say printerhead injects 2000 counts , this means , the chip has left of say a 300000 - 2000 = 29800 triggers to finaly become to point zero our reached the max programmers counter = 300000 limit , and then from Canons experiance concluded (in theory) all the ink wil be gone chip out .

So the actual amount of ink in the cartridge doesn't matter. When the printer sees that the stored count in the chip is large enough, it states that the ink is gone. Since the information is stored in the chip , unless you can reset that chip, you will not be able to proceed printing unless you follow the printer instructions for continuing to print without computer based ink level monitoring, and at the risk of your warrantee.
What happens with the cardrige chip(s) of people who uses a extra ink unit to auto revil the cardriges externaly ? if i understand you , they still need a resetter . But o.k. is there a differant with my idea ? is it because the communication in auto revil situation is still gooing in the printer "and a reset not needed" (if you believe that system you think this never need) If so how they do that .... because I see no differance with mines . And ReThinking ... the Led is only a extra level safety check , humm am i right ?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Sirman said:
Thanks for helping me understand the printer , no experiance so this will help me very well !

Thank you , i understand that the chip have a active communication with the printerhead, lets say printerhead injects 2000 counts , this means , the chip has left of say a 300000 - 2000 = 29800 triggers to finaly become to point zero our reached the max programmers counter = 300000 limit , and then from Canons experiance concluded (in theory) all the ink wil be gone chip out .
Correct... although the chip doesn't communicate with the printhead, it communicates with the printer or probably more accurately the printer reads the chip, does some processing and then writes a new value back.

What happens with the cardrige chip(s) of people who uses a extra ink unit to auto revil the cardriges externaly ? if i understand you , they still need a resetter . But o.k. is there a differant with my idea ? is it because the communication in auto revil situation is still gooing in the printer "and a reset not needed" (if you believe that system you think this never need) If so how they do that .... because I see no differance with mines . And ReThinking ... the Led is only a extra level safety check , humm am i right ?
Yes... From experience of using a CIS (continuous ink supply) the chip still knows it's printed too much for the cartridge to be full so it does still require a reset eventually.

.. and yes the LED is a backup safety check.. If the printer detects that the ink level is empty/low it will start counting down the number of estimated ink firings before the sponge is empty. The LED check also serves to let the printer know when a cartridge has been refilled.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
With Canon Pixma printers, the chip does not have to be reset, but if it is not, your choice is to continue using the cartridge and chip by following the printer's demand that you know that your warrantee is perhaps void and that you will not get ink level monitoring on your computer. When the printer tells you to, you press the correct button and hold it for 5 seconds and the printer releases the printer to continue printing. This happens as each cartridge is declared empty, and when you do the action, the ink monitor for that cartridge is disabled. All my monitoring has been disabled for some time now. My printer keeps printing just fine and my CIS feeds it the ink. My CIS external bottles are transparent so I can easily see when they are getting low on ink.

So you can keep printing with either refilled cartridges or with a CIS system. You just have to follow the printers instructions and accept the limitations. Many do exactly that. The savings on ink cost make the loss of warrantee not a large issue for most people. For printers like the iP4300 you can save enough on two or three refills to cover the cost of a new printer.

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
canonfodder said:
With Canon Pixma printers, the chip does not have to be reset, but if it is not, your choice is to continue using the cartridge and chip by following the printer's demand that you know that your warrantee is perhaps void and that you will not get ink level monitoring on your computer.
Indeed the warranty has left the building !

When the printer tells you to, you press the correct button and hold it for 5 seconds and the printer releases the printer to continue printing. This happens as each cartridge is declared empty, and when you do the action, the ink monitor for that cartridge is disabled. All my monitoring has been disabled for some time now. My printer keeps printing just fine and my CIS feeds it the ink. My CIS external bottles are transparent so I can easily see when they are getting low on ink.
Mayby the software reset/disable selection isnt that perfect as we tought and we liked , somewhere i read you reset is able to about 6 times but then this software overrule function doesnt work no more and when the user want to continiu, the user have to make a hardware reset (on the chip itseff) with a exspensive resetter , and this doesnt have a acceptable price ... ( $800 usd i think )

So you can keep printing with either refilled cartridges or with a CIS system. You just have to follow the printers instructions and accept the limitations. Many do exactly that. The savings on ink cost make the loss of warrantee not a large issue for most people. For printers like the iP4300 you can save enough on two or three refills to cover the cost of a new printer.
Indeed all we do is the economics ! .. i think my idea has a bit of change but not the whole solution ( for this printer and overall techn. principe ) but .. needed is to teckel the main difficulty in the chip , thats the point . Controle in the central IC program of the system and block / tab / change / the printer control signals .. to the chip ... rrright ??

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Correct... although the chip doesn't communicate with the printhead, it communicates with the printer or probably more accurately the printer reads the chip, does some processing and then writes a new value back.

.. and yes the LED is a backup safety check.. If the printer detects that the ink level is empty/low it will start counting down the number of estimated ink firings before the sponge is empty. The LED check also serves to let the printer know when a cartridge has been refilled
We got the problem , is there a possiblity to mediate in the controling proces ? uhmm new ideas ? :/

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Sirman said:
When the printer tells you to, you press the correct button and hold it for 5 seconds and the printer releases the printer to continue printing. This happens as each cartridge is declared empty, and when you do the action, the ink monitor for that cartridge is disabled. All my monitoring has been disabled for some time now. My printer keeps printing just fine and my CIS feeds it the ink. My CIS external bottles are transparent so I can easily see when they are getting low on ink.
Mayby the software reset/disable selection isnt that perfect as we tought and we liked , somewhere i read you reset is able to about 6 times but then this software overrule function doesnt work no more and when the user want to continiu, the user have to make a hardware reset (on the chip itseff) with a exspensive resetter , and this doesnt have a acceptable price ... ( $800 usd i think )
That's something of a myth that's never really been confirmed properly to my knowledge.

You should only ever need to reset the printer once per cartridge and then the printer should work fine (minus warranty and ink monitoring). The only time the printer starts warning you again is if you use a different cartridge. I have printers that have used 4 different CIS kits (ie: 4 different sets of empty cartridges) and they've all reset fine.

My guess is that many of those few reporting problems with printers refusing to reset have either damaged the chips and/or soiled the sensor in the printer.. or where chips have been swapped around, got their chips mixed up and put them on the wrong colour cartridge, etc..

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
Sirman said:
That's something of a myth that's never really been confirmed properly to my knowledge.

You should only ever need to reset the printer once per cartridge and then the printer should work fine (minus warranty and ink monitoring). The only time the printer starts warning you again is if you use a different cartridge. I have printers that have used 4 different CIS kits (ie: 4 different sets of empty cartridges) and they've all reset fine.

My guess is that many of those few reporting problems with printers refusing to reset have either damaged the chips and/or soiled the sensor in the printer.. or where chips have been swapped around, got their chips mixed up and put them on the wrong colour cartridge, etc..
Can you tell me why they developed a hardware resetter ?

and my colour cardriges did not want a reset the usual way and they totaly "dimmend" - sorry infact the leds are out now , happend After 48 hours printer standby = dooing nothing , in the mean while i did some computer restarts .. then notisched this dimmed problem but allmost with full OEM ink levels .. , i re-used the cardrige ( chip) just for a thirt time and used it several times so uhmm what happend i dont know. Now the screenwarning appaers at the moment i wanted to print, I get a warning i must replace the ink cardriges , my resets wont help anymore , so 4 leds dammaged ? unlikely ...

" Conclusion " mayby the countdown continues also if you dont use the printer !