Ink for HP 8500A

KurtS

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Looking for refill ink for my HP 8500A, it uses 940 cartridges. I have searched on here and googled but no luck. Found a few listed on e-bay, but the black is a dye and not pigment so I assume there not quality products. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The thing with the HP 8500 printer is that the printheads have a tendancy to clog... In the earlier HP88 printer (K5400 which was a forerunner to the 8500) this was a massive issue with the Pigment black (the other inks were dye).

For myself, if I were to run an 8500 now I'd be recommending a Dye ink set instead of the HP Pigment OEM which would mean you wouldn't get the waterproof ink but you would be far less likely to suffer any clog issues and besides the ink is cheaper :)

All this aside though, everything I've heard about the newer Officejet printers is that HP have continued to run with a product that got poorer, rather than better so a lot of people who had time for the Officejet line, jumped ship. For that reason most folks have moved to other systems.

KurtS

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I live in the US. Any recommendations for a brand of ink to try would be appreciated.

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Im going to have to agree with Websnail, that if you do use refill, you REALLY should avoid 3rd part *pigment* inks in it.
My personal experience is that you run a real risk of clogging (or burning) the heads if you do. I played with this and got burned.
I would suggest to either buy HPs OEM 940xl carts that comes (all four) pigment inks or.....use refills with dye ink.
The output with HP OEM ink on plain paper you get is stunning.

The cost for the HP OEM ink is five times lower in 940-based units compared to typical other smaller HP inkjets.
I did some calculations on that, I was curious to see what HPs math was like.
Not dirt cheap -- but I would pay attention to the fact that HP (in my mind) is somewhat reasonable with ink cost in the 940-cart based units.
940XL are the fully filled carts with the lowest cost per ml. (vs the only partially filled 940 carts..)

You can experiment and decide for yourself - but understand all the variables, pros and cons...

//jk