Injector needles

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
I ordered some 3 inch 22 guage needles so I could refill my chipped Canons using the German system. 22 guage needles have an outside diameter of 0.711mm. The needles I received hav a diameter of 1.61mm. This is a 16 guage needle. I called the company I ordered them from and I found out that in approx. 35 states you can't buy what is call a spinal tap needle as an individual. The 22 guage needle is considered too sharp while the 16 guage is blunt and won't go through the sponge. I'm going to try taking a diamond hone to them and see if I can't make them work. They also informed me it is illeagal for me to even possess a spinal tap needle. Anybody else know about this or am I the last to find out.

nomad8u

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
billkunert said:
I ordered some 3 inch 22 guage needles so I could refill my chipped Canons using the German system. 22 guage needles have an outside diameter of 0.711mm.
Hopefully these http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/product_details.php?category_id=141&item_id=1279 aren't the same ones you ordered, as I was going to order these for the same reason. I wasn't aware of those rules but it wouldn't surprise me. It will be interesting to see if someone else has more info.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
billkunert said:
I ordered some 3 inch 22 guage needles so I could refill my chipped Canons using the German system.
I would also like to try the German method , but my current needles (ex bubble pack re-fill kits ) , 35 mm in length are too short .

As far as I can see the best length would be 50-75 mm .

Can anyone point to a UK and/or Euro supplier ???.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Go to the local pharmacy/chemist. They should be able to sell you those apropriate needles. The one I'm using are BD Microlance 3 (size: 21G 2", 0.8 x 50 mm, REF 301155). Very cheap: less than 2 euro for 10 pieces. 50 mm is long enough for the german Durchstich method.

Her in Belgium you can get these at any drugstore.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
nomad8u said:
billkunert said:
I ordered some 3 inch 22 guage needles so I could refill my chipped Canons using the German system. 22 guage needles have an outside diameter of 0.711mm.
Hopefully these http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/product_details.php?category_id=141&item_id=1279 aren't the same ones you ordered, as I was going to order these for the same reason. I wasn't aware of those rules but it wouldn't surprise me. It will be interesting to see if someone else has more info.
Those are the needles and it was from A Lot of Things. If you live in a restricted state you will get the 16 guage needles. You might want to call them before you order.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Go to the local pharmacy/chemist. They should be able to sell you those apropriate needles. The one I'm using are BD Microlance 3 (size: 21G 2", 0.8 x 50 mm, REF 301155). Very cheap: less than 2 euro for 10 pieces. 50 mm is long enough for the german Durchstich method.

Her in Belgium you can get these at any drugstore.
Thank you Pharmacist ...I have tried to purchase at my local UK Chemist giving full reasons as to the use I wanted .these needles for......but here in the UK, Drugstores/Chemists will not sell to an individual unless on a Doctor`s Prescription.......will all UK refillers take note.

If any UK re-fillers can suggest an alternative source for these long needles, I would welcome it. I may make overtures to the Local Clinic Nurse.

I will continue to investigate other UK sources. I could be come a drug addict, and get all the needles I want for free, but this would probably be an unacceptable price to pay to circumvent Canon`s protected ink system.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I spoke with Joe from www.alotofthings.com who said that 35 states in the US have laws about shipping SHARP tipped needles into their state without a prescription. BLUNT tipped needles are OK. Also the length of the needle is a concern in these states, with longer needles, such as 3 inch, being considered specialty needles ("spinal" needles in this case) and not allowed for shipment without a prescription. These laws have quietly been passed in the various states in recent years. I guess a lot of junkies look for 3 inch needles.

I also called my local drugstore and talked with the pharmacist. One can buy diabetic needles and syringes without a prescription, though you do need to show ID which is recorded. The needles are less than than 50 mm long (what I was looking for to try the German method of refilling).

Check with your local pharmacy or give Joe a call. He seems like a good guy who's hamstrung by these idiotic laws with needles. His website is pretty good for refillers and it's good to support small private businesses whenever possible.

Beetlenut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with the blunt needles? So much easier IMO. I had more problem steering a sharp needle through the sponge.
The blunt needle I can let ride the bottom of the cart and is visible the whole process. The only thing to remember is to tap the cart down after refill to make sure the sponge is seated back down tight.

I get my Blunt needles from the following:
(push Pin/Thumb Tack thickness 22g)

CompuBiz Inkjet

http://216.219.159.185/tools.html#anchor29689

AlotOfThings.com

http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/products.php?category_id=58&page=2

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
My solution for those having difficulty to obtain sharp needles: first pierce a hole up to the prism in the ink chamber using a long, thin and sharp sewing needle (or something equivalent) and then inject the ink with your blunt needle. The problem with blunt needles the first time is the much greater chance of dislocation of the sponge material (actually pressing the sponge away instead of piercing trough it). Voila, problem solved.

And if you want to have a full ink level after refill, I can reset the chip to full for those interested (CLI-8 and PGI-5Bk, all colours accept red and green). I want to share the use of my expensive Canon resetter with other forum members here.

nomad8u

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
billkunert said:
Those are the needles and it was from A Lot of Things. If you live in a restricted state you will get the 16 guage needles. You might want to call them before you order.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll call before I order to see if I'm in a "nanny" state...

pharmacist said:
My solution for those having difficulty to obtain sharp needles:
Great idea! Thanks for sharing that, I hadn't thought about doing that.

pharmacist said:
And if you want to have a full ink level after refill, I can reset the chip to full for those interested (CLI-8 and PGI-5Bk, all colours accept red and green). I want to share the use of my expensive Canon resetter with other forum members here.
That's a very generous offer. Hopefully you'll get enough use from your resetter to justify the cost. It'd be nice to see them come down enough to generate widespread usage. Either way, thanks for being willing to share. The members here are a great bunch that way!

stratman said:
I guess a lot of junkies look for 3 inch needles.
Ink junkies are a growing problem to be sure... The Dursich method looks to be contagious.