In your oppinion best 11x14 inkjet printer

offtheroad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I realize this is an almost impossible question. I've seen a lot of add's for Brothers printers. I'm a Photographer first and graphic designer second. A lot of Photographer praise Epson. So in your oppinion best 11x14 inkjet printer. I would like to stay around 300.00. Thats the big problem. Thanks.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You are correct. It is an impossible question.
First of all there are not 11x14 printers. However, there 13x19 printers.
If you want dye based prints then an EPSON 1430 will be right around your price range.
If you want Pigment based prints, then you will have to up your budget to at least $500 and consider the R3000
On the Canon side, there are the PRO-10 ( Pigment ) and the Pro-100 ( Dye ) both if which are excellent.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
offtheroad - If you are in the US, check Craig's list. If you want one of the Canon 13x19 printers there are pro9000mkII printers new and in the sealed box available in some communities priced from $100 to $250. These are dye-based. They were part of a bundled deal for Canon dslr cameras and the purchasers are selling the printers for considerably less than list price. There are also Canon 9500MkII's as well.

You are right that photographers and graphic artists lean toward Epsons. In addition, if you need archival quality and are selling prints you should probably stay with pigment-based ink printers.

offtheroad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you all for the speedy reply. I'm not familiar with inks and paper for "Pigment-based" Could i get a little education with price comparason to regular inkjet?

offtheroad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm an oldie, an Ansel Adams fan. Had my own darkroom, mixed my own chemistry, shot a little 4x5 ran the zone system. Now I'm happly shooting with a Canon 5D MKII. Embracing the new technology.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Well, I am cut from the same block. I also started with 4x5 film back in the late 60s and have all of Adams' books and got to see some of his images on display in Germany at Photokina 1981 and later at home here in Wash DC.

You will love working digitally since the famous "S" gamma curve is actually perfectly linear in the digital darkroom. I seriously thik we can easily exceed the 12 zones Adams was working with.

The a are a multitude of papers. Some readily accept Dye and Pigment based inks and some are best with one and no the other.
You have a long and extremely exiting journey ahead of you. It will be exilirating and exasperating at the same time. But ultimately Totally rewarding.
And you will not smell like Acetic Acid and Hypo at the end of the day.

Dye inks are transparent and tend to penetrate the paper's coating ( Same as Emulsion ) and great for glossy prints. Pigments are opaque and not as bright or punchy as dyes but will last for many many decades where as Dyes can not come close to that. Though I have Dye prints framed under glass that are identicaql to the day I printed them over 8 years ago.

Although it has been said that the "LOOK" of a film based silver based print, or C type Colors print can not be duplucated with the digital process I will argue that I can produce a BETTER print using the currently available digital tools we have at our disposal.

I have a feeling that you may want to get a semi pro level printer, like a PRO 3880 and just get it over with. Get a lesser printer and you will be wishing you had a higher end one, pretty darn soon.

Joe