IMS inks incompatible with i960

wrbjr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Bought a refill kit from Costco for $20. Called IMS to confirm that this kit covered the i960. They said it did. It didn't. Red tints over all photos and fleshtones right away. Yuk.

Ordered Inkgrabber tanks and replaced the Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta tanks and I was back in business. However...... has anyone heard of the problem with Inkgrabber yellow? I have to refill that one next and in one of the the other threads here an individual had problems with it ruining his printer. Any feedback on this? Anybody using yellow from Inkgrabber currently without problems? I just got my kit from Inkgrabbers a couple of days ago. I'm hoping I don't have the bad stuff.

hseeng

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
wrbjr said:
Bought a refill kit from Costco for $20. Called IMS to confirm that this kit covered the i960. They said it did. It didn't. Red tints over all photos and fleshtones right away. Yuk.

Ordered Inkgrabber tanks and replaced the Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta tanks and I was back in business. However...... has anyone heard of the problem with Inkgrabber yellow? I have to refill that one next and in one of the the other threads here an individual had problems with it ruining his printer. Any feedback on this? Anybody using yellow from Inkgrabber currently without problems? I just got my kit from Inkgrabbers a couple of days ago. I'm hoping I don't have the bad stuff.

Thanks. Just bought the same refill kit today as well. Was checking out the web to see if anyone used this yet on a i960. So you say for sure "don't do it?" I will be using it on my HP 720 to print kids pictures and birthday cards though. Just filled the black and it seems ok. A bit watery though.

Your post saved me the grief.

Temped because it only cost $17 Canadian for 8 bottles of ink

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I remember seeing some ink refill kits at Costco the other day. I didn't pay too much attention to the brand or anything since I already have a TON of ink that will last me forever.

BUT, the one thing I did notice on the packaging was that it said it was good to use with a BUNCH of different printer makers and models. Well, if there is one thing I've heard preached since the beginning of my refilling days is to STAY AWAY from the "universal" inks. I've been told, and agree, that there is no such thing. The viscosities, chemistries, printing / nozzle technology is so different from the different manufacturers and models that there just can't be a one size fits all ink.

Fortunately Costco has a great return policy, but unfortunately I don't think it will cover any damage done to your cartridge or print head / printer.

wrbjr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hseeng, I agree with nifty-stuff. It was priced right and turned out wrong. The flesh tones were sunburned. Everywhere else on the printout was a vague pink cast. Ugly. I quit printing til I got Inkgrabber tanks. Back in business. I think I'll get MIS bulk refills next. Seems to be about the best and cheapest.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
MIS inks are so close to OEM on my I960 that I can't tell the difference. I've printed over 1000 4x6 photos plus some larger prints with great success with MIS refilling. The Costco Kirkland glossy photo paper is quite good. I felt that the prints were better than the CAnon glossy pro paper with both OEM and MIS inks. $19 for 125 sheets - translates to 375 4x6 sheets for a nickel each. I read somewhere that this paper is made by Illford. Set the printer to photo glossy paper and on manual set the intensity to -4 and test. I felt that the printer tended to oversaturate photos and reducing the intensity gave better skin tones in my estimation.

hseeng

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
MIS inks are so close to OEM on my I960 that I can't tell the difference. I've printed over 1000 4x6 photos plus some larger prints with great success with MIS refilling. The Costco Kirkland glossy photo paper is quite good. I felt that the prints were better than the CAnon glossy pro paper with both OEM and MIS inks. $19 for 125 sheets - translates to 375 4x6 sheets for a nickel each. I read somewhere that this paper is made by Illford. Set the printer to photo glossy paper and on manual set the intensity to -4 and test. I felt that the printer tended to oversaturate photos and reducing the intensity gave better skin tones in my estimation.

Thanks all for the help.
Re: "Costco paper is better then Canon" OHoooo... great :( I just bought a whole tonne fo Canon paper 2 months ago. Because I found using OEM inks on canon paper makes really good photos. Staples had 2 for 1 canon photo paper on sale. I then went to Futureshop (BestBuy) and got them to price match staples less 10% and got even a better deal. I still have about 200 8x10s and 400 4x6 blanks. I hope MIS inks look good on Canon paper.

Thanks

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I don't know about MIS inks on Canon vs. Costco paper, but I know for the inks I use and for OEM inks I've had really good results on Canon paper. I just use the Costco because it is SO CHEAP and such great quality. Honestly, if Canon paper was the same price as Costco I'd buy Canon.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I take that report (which I think also ran in Consumer Reports and many other places) with a grain of salt.

They REALLY bash non OEM inks and basically say to steer clean of off brand ink. Well, I've had excellent results for over 4 years refilling and using non-oem inks from different suppliers. While I haven't done a lot of diligent longevity tests, I've been very happy with refilling. Your mileage may vary, but I'm so happy that I've embraced the wonderful world of refilling... in fact, my last printer purchase was based on refilling success rates:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/best-inkjet-printer-refill.php

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with a winner. Most posts rate MIS inks highly and I have so far had great results with them. Until they go off color or screw up my printer I wouldn't go with others regardless of price. As far as the paper is concerned, half price Canon paper is certainly a good buy. I did side-by-side comparisons with Costco's Kirkland glossy photo paper, canon photo paper pro, epson glossy photo paper, Kodak (a disaster), and Epson premium glossy paper. None gave better results over the Costco paper. I would say that the canon photo paper pro and Epson glossy photo paper made excellent prints that were comparable to the Costco paper. The weight and smoother surface of the Costco paper makes it my favorite. It seemed that the Costco and Epson glossy papers made prints that were slightly truer in terms of intensity of color - the Canon pro paper, in my estimation, gave results that were a bit oversaturated for my taste. One benefit of the Epson glossy paper (formerly sold at Costco at 120 sheets for $20) is that it can be printed on both sides. The dull backside has very faint epson logos in a diagonal pattern, but they are hardly noticeable. I have used it for greeting cards printed on both sides and custom post cards as the back side can also accept ink or pencil. The costco paper back side will not accept inkjet or most pen inks. Another paper that works well for two sided greeting cards is the Epson two sided matte paper. Whenever there is an epson paper two for one sale locally at one of the office or electronic stores (office depot, office max, staples, etc.) I buy a few packs to have on hand.