Impossibly cheap cartridges with chip?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
It depends on your amount of prints - but If you are printing 90% black text it might be easier to start with
- just buying good reliable 3rd party PGI carts (I've no idea which one) and cancel refill ... or
- refilling only the PGI cartridge (the bigger one) with good quality (canon compatible) text black
If you want to refill but not to mess with poking your own cartridge, you could buy only one PGI refillable cart and a bottle of text black ink and a resetter from precision colors.

PS: for sharp deep black text - and hopefully no clogging - the ink is important!

Last edited:

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I installed the printer today using the CD. Everything went smoothly.
Both my wife and I were impressed with the Canon test print..
The Pigment cartridge shows full.
The 4 dye cartridges are low.
Since we print 90%+ Black, can we limp along for a time until I obtain the 4 dye carts?

I am leaning towards top fill.
I need 4 top fill color carts for dye ink.
We are not critical color users.
Will my Brother 3rd part inks that I have used for years be OK for the Canon?
If you are printing black text only be sure to set the paper choice to "plain paper." For printing you will then only be using the pigment based cart. Remember, however, that the printer goes through cleaning cycles periodically by itself. That will draw ink from all carts. If your dye based carts are nearly empty and any color printing is part of a text page you will risk damage to the printhead once any dye based cart is empty. Also, if your printer is designed for duplex text printing it is my understanding that the second side printing is done with the dye based inks. (duplex printing members, please chime in here!)

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you are printing black text only be sure to set the paper choice to "plain paper." For printing you will then only be using the pigment based cart. Remember, however, that the printer goes through cleaning cycles periodically by itself. That will draw ink from all carts. If your dye based carts are nearly empty and any color printing is part of a text page you will risk damage to the printhead once any dye based cart is empty. Also, if your printer is designed for duplex text printing it is my understanding that the second side printing is done with the dye based inks. (duplex printing members, please chime in here!)

We never use duplex. Is the top feed for plain paper?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since we print 90%+ Black, can we limp along for a time until I obtain the 4 dye carts?
Unknown how long until the cartridges are marked as Empty. Be pro-active and get your refilling supplies sooner rather than later.

I am leaning towards top fill.
I need 4 top fill color carts for dye ink.
If you are in North America then order a set of ready to go cartridges from Precision Colors: http://www.precisioncolors.com/c5cbcart.html. Make sure you are buying the correct set for your printer model. Forum member mikling runs the web site and will answer all your questions. If you live in Europe then purchase from http://www.octoink.co.uk/. Why buy these cartridges -- to simplify your life and decrease your risk for malfunctions.

We are not critical color users.
Maybe a laser printer would be better for you? Regardless, even if you do not print much with color, your printer will eventually use up your color inks doing maintenance.

Will my Brother 3rd part inks that I have used for years be OK for the Canon?
It may not harm the print head. Or it may harm the print head. It could be the worst thing that happens is bad color. I would not use Brother ink in my Canon. It's up to you and your stomach for risk print head failure and what is an acceptable print.

Some shortcuts are not worth it -- penny wise and pound foolish. Your call.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
We never use duplex. Is the top feed for plain paper?
The top feed is for any paper you wish to use as long as it follows the printer guidelines for size and weight of paper. The bottom cassette is convenient when you use many different types of paper but want to switch to plain paper (lower tray) while leaving other types of paper in the top feed tray. Because of the "round trip" paper path, the lower tray isn't suitable for heavy weight papers or photo papers with a gloss surface.

About the Brother ink that you have left over - always use the ink that is specific for the model and manufacturer of your printer. In addition to the different ink delivery technology of printers which may dictate chemical and viscosity differences, the specific inks are formulated to give the best color response.

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The top feed is for any paper you wish to use as long as it follows the printer guidelines for size and weight of paper. The bottom cassette is convenient when you use many different types of paper but want to switch to plain paper (lower tray) while leaving other types of paper in the top feed tray. Because of the "round trip" paper path, the lower tray isn't suitable for heavy weight papers or photo papers with a gloss surface.

About the Brother ink that you have left over - always use the ink that is specific for the model and manufacturer of your printer. In addition to the different ink delivery technology of printers which may dictate chemical and viscosity differences, the specific inks are formulated to give the best color response.

Sorry, I conveyed the wrong information. I have been using generic non specific dye ink in the Brother printers for many years. Therefore the term "Brother Ink" is not correct.

I used the same eBay seller many times with no problems.

Therefore, I conclude that the remaining generic dye ink is low risk.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Therefore, I conclude that the remaining generic dye ink is low risk.
As fotofreek says, there are 2 different technologies for inkjet print heads. A decent explanation of the competing print head technologies found at http://www.aldertech.com/blog/piezoelectric-print-heads-vs-thermal-print-heads/.

Looking up Brother print head technology i have read it can be piezo electric or thermal I would make darn sure that the ink you are using was designed for a thermal print head printer. Also, depending on the age and storage environment, I would avoid using the ink if more than 1 year old, especially if already opened. In general, good quality inks can last up to 2 years when stored properly. (Some have used even older ink without issue while others have had problems).

Using good quality, known manufacturer is a part of quality control and keeping your printer running well and your prints looking good.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@BOYNTONSTU you say you have been using Quote “generic non specific dye ink in the Brother printers for many years “ BUT your Brother printers are buggered and can’t print colour images ! !

So if this ink is that bad then why do you continue to use it and if try to use this same ink in your Canon printer you’ll get exactly the same results as you did before with your Brother printers only faster this time.

Canon printer’s work very well but you cannot take any shortcuts with them, As the Cowboy says one false move and your print head gets it.

You have had very good posts here on how to keep your new Canon printer working from many an expert, so please take time to take stock of what has been said here and revert from your old working ways..

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Your logic is perfect.

These are the facts:

Six years of perfect printing and non-clogging is a success in my book.

The black and the yellow are still perfect. Cyan and magenta not.

We hardly ever use color

The Cyan and the Magenta were good for 6 years.

A reasonable question is why are the 2 heads "clogged"?

Is it the ink or something else?

I believe that with the head cleaning ability of the Canon, the question would have been resolved.

To be on the safe side, I will assume that the ink is the culprit and get new ink formulated for Canons.