Impossibly cheap cartridges with chip?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It doesn’t matter which cartridge you use whether it’s OEM or aftermarket they will both need to have the chip reset once you use up the ink inside them.

The best cartridge to refill by far is the OEM cartridge and not an aftermarket one, you may have difficulty refilling the aftermarket carts using the German refill method, and you’ll also need to purchase a resetter for the chips.

Please remember if you don’t maintain your cartridges properly and refill them carefully then you run the risk of damaging your print head, which will cost more to replace then the printer costs.

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter which cartridge you use whether it’s OEM or aftermarket they will both need to have the chip reset once you use up the ink inside them.

The best cartridge to refill by far is the OEM cartridge and not an aftermarket one, you may have difficulty refilling the aftermarket carts using the German refill method, and you’ll also need to purchase a resetter for the chips.

Please remember if you don’t maintain your cartridges properly and refill them carefully then you run the risk of damaging your print head, which will cost more to replace then the printer costs.

Thanks.

So after I purchase 5 complete sets of cartridges with ink and with chips for $3.23 per set, I need a chip reseter. Correct?

Like this $11.99 resetter that I would need to purchase to reset OEM's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chip-resett...419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c149a44b

I saw a refill method that can be done while the cartridge is in the printer.

If done this way is a reset necessary?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
A chip resetter is needed for all cartridges to maintain proper ink monitoring at all times, that resetter you posted will be fine but you’ll still need ink ?

Filling your cartridges while still in your printer is a recipe for disaster so don’t do it, please read up on how to refill cartridge properly before attempting it yourself for the first time.

Compatible cartridges are not a friend but in most cases can turn out to be the enemy, so beware..

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Just another tip for future reference, dont forget you can transfer chips from the 225/226 carts to a set of 220/221 carts (im assuming you are USA/Canada) which have clear windows for refilling. Probably a bit late now as you have bought carts and resetter already but might be useful info if you ever want to experiment.

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just another tip for future reference, dont forget you can transfer chips from the 225/226 carts to a set of 220/221 carts (im assuming you are USA/Canada) which have clear windows for refilling. Probably a bit late now as you have bought carts and resetter already but might be useful info if you ever want to experiment.

Thanks for the tip.

I bought a PIXMA MG5320 for $25 a few days ago. The carts are about half full.

I don't know their numbers.

I am in the planning stage for what to do next.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
The Pixma MG5320 in the UK and most of europe uses PGI-525 and CLI-526 as default name for carts. In the USA and some other areas of the globe it is PGI-225 and CLI-226. (canon changed the first digit depending on region, dunno why they started doing that). If you are in the USA then it will have PGI-225 and CLI-226 carts currently unless a prior owner got creative.

The carts are physically the same size as PGI-520 and CLI-521 (the name in the UK) and PGI-220, CLI-221 (The USA) versions but the chips are different. The advantage of PGI-520, CLI-521 or PGI-220, CLI-221 (depending on your region) is they are clear or have a clear window which can help when it comes to refilling.

If you want to use PGI-520, CLI-521 or PGI-220, CLI-221 in your PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 printer you will have to take the chips from the PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 carts and place them on a set of PGI-520/CLI-521/PGI-220/CLI-221 first.

Im assuming this is a used printer with non original, part used carts in it???

If so my advice would be buy an empty set of ORIGINAL OEM PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 (depending on your region) and have a go at refilling them, if you find it tricky as you have no ink window to tell when they are full then buy a set of PGI-520/CLI-521/PGI-220/CLI-221 and place the chips from the PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 on to them.

Basic things you need if you want to do the job properly is a PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 chip resetter and a set of corresponding carts.

The good thing is you have various options with that model of printer.

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Pixma MG5320 in the UK and most of europe uses PGI-525 and CLI-526 as default name for carts. In the USA and some other areas of the globe it is PGI-225 and CLI-226. (canon changed the first digit depending on region, dunno why they started doing that). If you are in the USA then it will have PGI-225 and CLI-226 carts currently unless a prior owner got creative.

The carts are physically the same size as PGI-520 and CLI-521 (the name in the UK) and PGI-220, CLI-221 (The USA) versions but the chips are different. The advantage of PGI-520, CLI-521 or PGI-220, CLI-221 (depending on your region) is they are clear or have a clear window which can help when it comes to refilling.

If you want to use PGI-520, CLI-521 or PGI-220, CLI-221 in your PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 printer you will have to take the chips from the PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 carts and place them on a set of PGI-520/CLI-521/PGI-220/CLI-221 first.

Im assuming this is a used printer with non original, part used carts in it???

If so my advice would be buy an empty set of ORIGINAL OEM PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 (depending on your region) and have a go at refilling them, if you find it tricky as you have no ink window to tell when they are full then buy a set of PGI-520/CLI-521/PGI-220/CLI-221 and place the chips from the PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 on to them.

Basic things you need if you want to do the job properly is a PGI-525/CLI-526/PGI-225/CLI-226 chip resetter and a set of corresponding carts.

The good thing is you have various options with that model of printer.

The cartridges are genuine Canon. No creativity on the part of the previous owner.

She said that when she switched to Apple she could not connect as easily using Windows.

If I use the very inexpensive aftermarket sets ($3.23 per set of 5) once and discard, I believe that sponge issues would be insignificant.

Am I correct?

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
The cartridges are genuine Canon. No creativity on the part of the previous owner.

She said that when she switched to Apple she could not connect as easily using Windows.

If I use the very inexpensive aftermarket sets ($3.23 per set of 5) once and discard, I believe that sponge issues would be insignificant.

Am I correct?

You could buy those mentioned ebay carts the only thing i will tell you right now is the quality and ink flow as well as colour reproduction in After market carts can vary quite a bit. Normally most brands are OK for single use, if it were me dead set on after market carts id at the least go for a brand that was recognised (something like peach, JR Ink, Jettec etc, i only use those brands as examples of recognised brands before anyone says x brand is terrible).

The sponge likewise in noname aftermarket carts can vary and cause ink flow issues so its up to you. Me personally id avoid anything ebay including the carts you picked out (doesnt even mention the brand) with regards to after market carts, go at least to a reseller that guarantees their brand is as good or as near as good as originals.

If it comes down to money, then look to see if the carts in the printer currently are genuine Canon (it will say canon on them somewhere if they are and you can easily find images of what an original canon cart looks like to be extra sure) if they are original canon then i would buy refill ink and refill them, a set of 100ml bottles will give you numerous refills for very little cash.

Ive not let any non original cart near my canon, i refill original carts with quality ink see i know what its being fed. I learned the leson after Epson ownership and nothing but issues with aftermarket carts, including blockages, ink flow problems and more. Granted that was several years ago and an old model Epson so things may well be better now, but one thing is certain no matter who argues otherwise you can not beat an original cart.

Basically you need to decide, whats more important, cost, quality or reliability? You will not get the best of all 3 in one solution and the nearest to getting all 3 IMO is refilling Original Canon carts.

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My experience of many years was with extended transparent cartridges for the Brother MFC-465CN and MFC-240C printers. 90% black ink text use. These cartridges are non chip plastic containers that stick out from the printer. Never had a clog that would remain after a single color purge print. When the cartridge got a little low, pull out the top plug and refill. Never removed the cartridges. Lasted years. If it wasn't for the occasional color print and the clogged color heads, I would not be in the Canon section of this great website. I got frustrated occasionally when the printer gave false low ink or cartridge missing error. Some genius discovered that by clipping a single, easy to get to wire, the printer never knew what was happening with the cartridges. After all, they are in plain sight.

After I wasted many hours with Windex, hot water, syringe pressure purging, etc. I rethought printers.
The ease of Canon head cleaning and the waste ink absorber access drew me to Canon. The $25 bargain sealed the deal and I am here.

Let's compare. Ink cartridges: Brother 4 Canon 5
Refill ink Brother pull plug squirt in ink 30 seconds
Canon more time consuming, syringes, techniques, doable
Ink capacity Brother 75 ml or so Canon 27 and 17
Purge count reset Seems identical
Run printer with missing cartridges Brother yes Canon ?
Head access Brother impossibly complex Canon simple
Head cleaning Brother no success Canon looks easy
Basic design Bother uses fixed cartridges and moving tubing
Canon Cartridges ride on head
Absorber clean Brother need to cut open side of unit but you get an external waste ink tank.
Canon seems easy
Print quality Brother acceptable Canon outstanding
Chips and resetter Brother N/A Canon OEM + resetter

That is my $0.02

If I follow the experts, I need to get another set of OEM cartridges and a chip resetter as my first step.
Are transparent cartridges that I see being refilled, OEM?
If not, lots of folks seem to use them.
Where do I obtain OEM cartridges?
Ink Is the large Black dye and the colors pigment or vice versa?
Where to buy ink?

Sorry for my numerous questions.