• Enregistrement audio 2018-05-03 09-17-23.mp3.zip
    262.4 KB · Views: 426

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
To me the noise sounds like gears slipping. The gears are probably related to the purge unit. Does the printer work normally after the sound has stopped? And is the nozzle check OK?

In case of a malfunctioning purge unit I would expect many clogged nozzles or even totally missing print.

I once had a purge unit problem with an iP4000. I don't remember the error message, but I remembered a tip to push down on the two small porous plates. I did and something clicked in place and the printer worked again. Before taking the printer apart you could try this and also clean the purge unit as suggested by The Hat in post #3.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
To me the noise sounds like gears slipping. The gears are probably related to the purge unit. Does the printer work normally after the sound has stopped? And is the nozzle check OK?

In case of a malfunctioning purge unit I would expect many clogged nozzles or even totally missing print.

I once had a purge unit problem with an iP4000. I don't remember the error message, but I remembered a tip to push down on the two small porous plates. I did and something clicked in place and the printer worked again. Before taking the printer apart you could try this and also clean the purge unit as suggested by The Hat in post #3.

I cleaned the pads as "the hat" suggested and it seemed to be much better.
The print head is perfect and the nozzle test has been perfect. I cleaned the print head before I used the printer with the "Pharmacist" Method. The print head has been reacting in a perfect way.
I guess I will have to clean the purge unit and take the gears apart..
Send you tomorrow a picture of the nozzle check.
Best and thanks for your patience.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
Hello PeterBJ,
longtime ago not talked... ;-)
The noise has never stopped... I cleaned the pad under the gear wich was totaly full of old colors...
Printing is very ok...noozle test is very sucessfull Print head is in very good shape.
I try to send you a small video of the action.
Best regard

Attachments

• VID_20200319_092154.m4v.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 393

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
@zepat, I got a set of 521/520 clean carts with no chips on them and a USB 526 resetter, if any of this stuff is any good to you.. :)
Oh that's very kind of you but in between,fortunatly I found at the recycling place in my neighbourhood, a bunge of OEM Canon 521/520 526/525 in good condition and I also do have a resetter. Thanks a lot for your post ;-)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the sound in the video is similar to the sound in the audio clip, so I still think it is caused by something being stuck or having too much friction and so causing gears to slip.

Since my last post in this thread I salvaged a Canon MG5350 and after a little cleaning it was OK. So I searched for a service manual but found none. But the MG5300 series is mechanically similar to the MG5200 series so I think an MG5200 service manual will also be useful. It has got a good disassembly instruction and apart from the top scanner parts the printers might be identical. You find working links to that manual and a collection of photos from dismantling a MG5350 in this thread.

Instead of gears slipping the noise could also be caused by a clutch not properly engaging, See this and this post.

Good luck with the troubleshooting. I think the MG5350 is much better than its successor the MG5450S.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
I think the sound in the video is similar to the sound in the audio clip, so I still think it is caused by something being stuck or having too much friction and so causing gears to slip.

Since my last post in this thread I salvaged a Canon MG5350 and after a little cleaning it was OK. So I searched for a service manual but found none. But the MG5300 series is mechanically similar to the MG5200 series so I think an MG5200 service manual will also be useful. It has got a good disassembly instruction and apart from the top scanner parts the printers might be identical. You find working links to that manual and a collection of photos from dismantling a MG5350 in this thread.

Instead of gears slipping the noise could also be caused by a clutch not properly engaging, See this and this post.

Good luck with the troubleshooting. I think the MG5350 is much better than its successor the MG5450S.

Hello PeterBJ,
I have been trying to clean up the time stripe band and on the right side (pad,motor etc...) I noticed there was some strange stain of very old colours... It didn't run away with Isopropinol solution... may it be a cause of wrong informations read by the sensor?
What do you think about?
I try to make a picture of it.
Best regards
Zepat

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have been trying to clean up the time stripe band and on the right side (pad,motor etc...) I noticed there was some strange stain of very old colours..
If the timing strip is not clear and clean that could cause the noise you’ve described to occur…

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The timing strip is vital for determining the position of the print head. It has some very fine vertical markings. These fine markings are read by an optical sensor. Stains on the strip will cause the sensor to skip some markings so the position is not accurate, so I think the stains near the right side end of the strip could cause the problems if the print head doesn't stop where it is intended to.

Pure isopropyl alcohol is not a good solvent for dried ink. A diluted alcohol is much better. A good solution for dissolving dried ink is pharmacist's cleaning solution that contains 20% alcohol. Window cleaners with ammonia are also good. They also contain diluted alcohol.