I'm looking for used OEM 525/526 cartridges

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
Hello there,
I'm looking for used OEM 525/526 cartridges to try out my Canon Pixma MG 5350...
Does any of you guys having experiences with Octopus Cartridge?
I try actualy on my printer, I don't have Error message but it makes a strange sounds while I start it. "Cracking"...
That's the reason why I would like to try out with OEM from Canon.
One more question, I use a resetter for 521 cartridge, would it work on 526 too?
Any experience?
Best regards and 1000+1 Thanks in advance for you reply.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I cannot tell if the cracking sound is caused by the compatible cartridges. Newer Canon printers using PGI-520/CLI-521 and PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges are much more noisy than the good old PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridge printers, and the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge printers like MG5450 and MG5550 are horrible. Newer is not always better IMO.

The PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges need a special resetter, the resetter for PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges cannot be used.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If your printer is making a grinding sound when starting up, it maybe the wipers or purge unit are getting stuck on the underside of the print head, try giving the whole area a good spray of window cleaner and wipe clean with paper cloths, the excess spray won’t do any harm.

Your resetter will only work on the 521 chips but not on the 525 chip and Octopus cartridges are ok to use...

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
I cannot tell if the cracking sound is caused by the compatible cartridges. Newer Canon printers using PGI-520/CLI-521 and PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges are much more noisy than the good old PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridge printers, and the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge printers like MG5450 and MG5550 are horrible. Newer is not always better IMO.

The PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges need a special resetter, the resetter for PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges cannot be used.

Thank you very much for your help and your wise advices Peter.
I'm gonna look for a resetter.
Best to you

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
If your printer is making a grinding sound when starting up, it maybe the wipers or purge unit are getting stuck on the underside of the print head, try giving the whole area a good spray of window cleaner and wipe clean with paper cloths, the excess spray won’t do any harm.

Your resetter will only work on the 521 chips but not on the 525 chip and Octopus cartridges are ok to use...
I'm gonna try out your method. May be if the printer hasn't been used for a while the ink got dry at the top of the purge unit...
Anyway thank you for your help and tip.
Regards

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
Any possibility to send you a audio file??... I taped the sound before it stopped and get into stand by mode... you could hear this marvelous Music.... :ep:ep:lol::lol::(:(:(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
That would be a very good idea. I think that if you zip the audio file the zip archive can be attached to your post. I think that if the zip archive is less than one MB it will be OK to attach.

Does it sound like in this Youtube video? The noise is caused by a defective purge unit.

If the after market cartridges fit perfectly in the print head carriage, I think it is very unlikely that they are causing the noise.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
That would be a very good idea. I think that if you zip the audio file the zip archive can be attached to your post. I think that if the zip archive is less than one MB it will be OK to attach.

Does it sound like in this Youtube video? The noise is caused by a defective purge unit.

If the after market cartridges fit perfectly in the print head carriage, I think it is very unlikely that they are causing the noise.
Hello Peter,
thanks a lot for the information and the video link.
It does sound like that but not that intensive.
It means I have to clean the purge unit... Hahaha... a lot of work... Disassembly everything... cleaning the pads etc...
Do I need to reprogram anything after or it works by itself?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Before totally dismantling the printer, I suggest to upload the sound recording if possible. Maybe someone recognises the sound and knows the answer to the problem and can tell the solution?

If you decide to take the printer apart, then you find some instructions here. I think the MG5350 looks similar to the printers of the MP620/630/640 series so a service manual for the Canon MP640 might also be helpful?

If you correctly put the printer back together there is no need to do any reprogramming. Before taking apart gears it might be a good idea to mark them with a CD marker or similar, so the timing is not lost when putting them back together again. Proper timing might be as important as cam shaft timing in a car/auto mobile engine!

Last edited:

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
Before totally dismantling the printer, I suggest to upload the sound recording if possible. Maybe someone recognises the sound and knows the answer to the problem and can tell the solution?

If you decide to take the printer apart, then you find some instructions here. I think the MG5350 looks similar to the printers of the MP620/630/640 series so a service manual for the Canon MP640 might also be helpful?

If you correctly put the printer back together there is no need to do any reprogramming. Before taking apart gears it might be a good idea to mark them with a CD marker or similar, so the timing is not lost when putting them back together again. Proper timing might be as important as cam shaft timing in a car/auto mobile engine!
I'm gonna try to upload a .zip file with the sound and who knows ... hahaha
Thanks in advance