I'm crying... Disaster over Disaster

chirantha7777

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok! I'm getting my wisdom tooth and it really hurts that's one problem...

The second problem is my Canon Ip1980 is a peace of crap! It came with the CL-831 color cartridge which ran out of ink and when I refilled, the light magenta color had one seek (line) which made lines on my photo's... (I print A4 size border-less photo's to get some pocket money)... in my attempts to clean and made it worse so no comment. I thought the nozzel died because I let ink run out. Trust me I used every method possible to recover the nozzel

1. Warm water
2. Alcohol
3. Tissue
4. Used Sucker that came with Refill Kit

So I bought a CL-41 cartridge and I never let the ink run out. I'm 100% sure... I use to refill it every 2 days until it overflows and then suck out a little. But today its head also got seek in the light magenta :( I have also heard this happening to others on this forum... I believe its safe to say CL-41 based print heads..... are a disaster...

I also have a IP3500 which also has seeks on all colors and recently by mistake I refill the black (pigment) with dye ink and the black print head just died.....

I've had some very had experience with these Canon printers. I'm hoping on buying a Ip3680. But I'm not sure if it can give me at least 1 year of service. I earned $20 bucks and I have to spend 130$ on a new printer.... :(:(:(:(

PS: I need a cheap cost effective printer that will allow me to refill and print photo's without dying nozzles for at least one year... also I do not care about print speed...

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Ip1980 is not listed in Canon USA web site. Nevertheless, the CL-831 is an ink cartridge with an integrated print head on it. You should avoid all (ALL) Canon printers that use ink cartridges with integrated print heads on them. They are designed for one time use. Even they will last longer than just one time use they will not be as durable as those that come with heavy duty print heads and individual ink cartridges for each ink they use. Don't expect too much from your CL831. If it stops working you most likely will need to replace it with a new one. You can experiment every advices you are given. If it is recovered you are fortunate to have it with you for a little longer.

Don't buy any more new printers before you can fix your ip3500 and make it work reliably. In the worst case spend $50 for a new print head and refill a full set of OEM ink cartridges with good quality inks. In my opinion ip3500 is a keeper. It is definitely worth keeping it. I don't think ip3680 is any better than ip3500. Don't buy any cheap compatible ink cartridges for the ip3500. Instead, you should refill a good set of OEM cartridges with inks such as Hobbicolors and many others recommended on this forum. Your ip3500 can last for a few years.

We all got it in our life with the toothache when we grow older and smarter. Only a dentist can help.