Idea of using HP foil/mylar bag as ink bottle for cis

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I had an idea that it would be possible to use for example HP cartridge that has a flexible foil/mylar bag inside that collapses as ink is used up as ink bottle to avoid pressure problems.

The cartridges need to float in water or on springs to keep ink top level constant.
Springs are best because it would be simple to build.

Anyone tried this?

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hello Smile,

This is not about using a mylar bag, but it is about using springs. I built a system that uses springs supporting ink bottles to hold the ink level constant at the right height for a CIS on a Pixma printer.

Read about it on the thread http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2498. I have been using the system shown since that post and it has worked for me faithfully. I could give you more details if it would help.

Another way for CIS success.
There are commercial CIS systems that manage ink somewhat like a chicken waterer. The ink is maintained at a constant level in an auxillary chamber. When the ink level drops in the auxillary chamber, some air is let into the main ink tank, releasing some more ink into the auxillary chamber. The ink output tube connects to that auxillary chamber and a constant pressure is maintained.

The key to proper operation in my spring float system or in the chicken waterer type is to have the ink level correct in relation to the print head. For the Pixma printers that use a sponge in the ink cartridge, the CIS ink level should be about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the installed ink cartridge. This results in the negative pressure to the print head that is necessary for proper operation of a Canon Pixma printer.

Commercial CIS systems of the chicken waterer type are normally supplied with spongeless cartridges. In my CIS I used Canon OEM cartridges, but they are sealed with no air vent and the ink input tube goes down to the bottom of the sponge chamber. I believe they work equally well.

Websnail did some experiments with mylar bag or equivalent ink tanks, but he did not float them. I think the idea was to have a very low profile so the ink level did not change much as the ink was consumed.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
canonfodder said:
Websnail did some experiments with mylar bag or equivalent ink tanks, but he did not float them. I think the idea was to have a very low profile so the ink level did not change much as the ink was consumed.
Some work was done on this but there were a few problems with it... On the up side you can indeed have a bag without floating it and set things up so that the bag levels are no higher or much lower than the cartridges.

The problem however is that to get the bags in with the right levels you need to have a LOT of space to the side or rear of the printer and that tends to be something of a deal breaker.

I haven't given this a major try because space has been short but I did create a couple of kits that used bags in a container that then sat underneath the printer... http://www.continuousink.info/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=394

It's worked for two printers, an iP4300 and an iP4200 so far but the biggest issue that stopped things in their tracks was a reliable valve to stop the ink leaking out when you go to refill them. That's being worked on but you do get a cost issue as the valves currently available are around 10 each... :(

It's something I'll be coming back to in the future if all works out.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Could you tell the valva type and where to get it? I would like to try to find it?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Smile said:
Could you tell the valva type and where to get it? I would like to try to find it?
My supplier is being remarkably tight lipped about it at the moment but I know he's buying a load in for my waste ink bag systems so if you email me on info (at) ocotoinkjet dot co dOt uk I'll keep you posted when I find out more.