i9950/i9900: Green cast on Hobbicolors inks.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Tin Ho,

I don't Phil is suffering from contamination. In the first place my profile seemed to work very well on his (same as mine) printer. The problem of contamination seemed to appear later on after he printed alot (I presume) and the bad cartridges gave te problem.

Tip for Phil: use the original Canon cartridges and refill them instead of using 3rd party cartridges like you are now. The likelihood you will encounter contamination with original cartridges is almost none, especially when using the German Durchstich method to refill them.

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The first thing I did was recheck the test prints using the original profiles against Pharmacists UW-8 profiles with the clean carts, just in case there had been some long term leakage problem, and the results still showed the same green cast with the original profiles.
To be fair to the Hobbicolors carts, they have been fine up until now, except for me managing to install the black cart with a foreign body at the seal.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Leo8088,

I used to put generic BCI-6/BCI-3eBK in my MP780 and these cartridges almost ruined my printhead in my MP780. A few years I ago I tried the Hobbicolors UW-8 ink and the first results were very impressive. I immediately kicked out these el cheapo cartridges and use original cartridges to refill.

Never had I ever seen such beautiful and saturated colours on all types of paper and the colours last very very long even in bright sun light.

My new Canon MX850 multifunctional will definitely be refilled with Hobbicolors UW-8 ink when the OEM cartridges run empty. The PGI-5Bk cartridge will be refilled with KMP pigment ink, because of the blacker and more highlighter resistant printouts.

However I do not think that the cartridges alone causing the green tinge with the Canon i9950 printer of Lewisham_phil. My i9950 is giving a slightly green cast too with the standard Canon profiles when fed with Hobbicolors UW-8 ink, but not so heavily as in the case with Phil's printer. But I have strong feeling the green tinge will completely disappear when refilling original Canon cartridges instead of using el cheapo cartridges, because of the superior ink flow only seen with Canon's patented double density sponge design of its cartridges.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
leo8088 said:
For this reason I don't trust resetters either.
I really don't understand this comment at all. Please explain. What do "resetters" have to do with the quality of the cartridges? I use a resetter with Canon OEM cartridges and it works fine.

Steve W.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
leo8088 said:
Unless a resetter rewrite the chip with exact original code back to the chip a resetter essentially turns an OEM cartridge into a compatible cartridge. This can be a potential problem. The original code in the chip is copyrighted. I doubt resetter manufacturers will take a risk in getting sued by Canon. For users this may not be an issue as long as reset cartridges work in their printers. But if the resetter does not rewrite the original code back to the chip I just don't feel too comfortable about it. I know resetters do work. But I can't stop thinking the cartridges are not authentic any more. I should say the code is not authentic any more to be accurate.
I guess you stop refill and use Canon OEM cartridges for the new Canon printers which use chipped cartridges.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I, personally, don't think that the resetters are actually writing code into the chips but are resetting some counters that keep track of the nozzle firings of the printhead for a particular color - they are called resetters. These/this counter(s) then present their status to the printer - when it reaches a certain count a warning is given that you can ignore or not. There doesn't seem to be a tracking of a specific serial number of a cartridge because you can reset a cartridge and immediately put it back in. Don't think that resetting counters could cause a legal problem with Canon. I would rather trust a resetter than keep track of the ink level in cartridges by opening the lid, removing cartridges and checking how much ink is left. So far my resetter has worked perfectly. I didn't/wouldn't buy a chipped printer until a resetter became available.

Steve W.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When diagnosing problems keep in mind that the nozzle check pattern will not necessarily display problems with problematic ink-cartridge-sponge/not feeding ink properly issues. The reason for this is that right after any clean or prime phase, the priming pump has forced ink into and through the printhead and nozzles. Thus printing a nozzle pattern that does not consume a significant quantity of ink may well show a good pattern because the nozzles and ink trough behind the nozzles are "loaded" at this point. However, when printing begins this trough will become drained if the cartridge/ink interface is not within tolerance. This can cause the nozzles to misfire and cause shoartage of ink ejected. This misfiring as you know can eventually lead to a terminal situation for the printhead.

Also consider that after a " print run", the ink well can have time to recover from a slow rate of ink feed and then produce a good nozzle check pattern. this can then really confound the situation. The best situation might well be to produce a long strip of solid colors the length of the page. By doing this, one can determine if the cast or shift becomes progressively bad. If it looks fine at the start and then progresses to be bad, then it tells you have a problem that is dynamically changing as the printer prints and consume a high level of ink. Usually this is a cartridge feed issue with the odd case of printhead/electronics issue. Improper ink feed is a dynamic issue.

The above will also help explain why some users hardly ever and never need to flush cartridges. If their printing is such that high levels of ink is not required, that is , if photoprinting is not done and only spot color is printed within documents then it hardly stresses the ink feed requirement on a sustained basis. After printing a little color, the ink troughs can slowly recover and refill with ink within the time constriants. So if a user has this pattern of printing, ink cartridge feed issues may well never crop up, depending the printed material and a conclusion that flushing is never required. valid in tehir case but not for all.

If however, the ink requirements are sustained as in continuous high quality saturated color printing, and the cartridge cannot feed ink quick enough then ink starvation will appear. Thus one may possibly see banding, and color shifts and yet it still produces good nozzle checks. Only when the ink/cartridge feed is really bad, will one see the effects on a nozzle check as well.

In conclusion a good nozzle check is not everything as it really does not stress the ink feed system enough to show problems that could arise during printing. The nozzle check however when always used with new OEM carts does indeed show the real status of the print situation but not necessarily on refilled or aftermarket cartridgess. New OEM carts seldom ever have an in feed problem because they are NEW and not refilled or reused and are manufactured to be within specs.