i9900 Strange Behavior

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ, Thanks for your input.

The problem shows up as faint lighter color rows top to bottom.

I will rescan and resize.

I ran a head alighment on photo paper rather than plain paper, I'll reprint and see if that helped.

Again, thanks for your help.

trcrefill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
do a manual printhead alignment through the maintenance section as i believe your horizontal head alignment is out.
usually the last few adjustments on the head alignment pages that get printed out.

its a setting that when printing tell the printer how to line up each pass of the printhead over the previous one.

the length of the nozzle strips are around the size of the missing parts of the print that you are getting.

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
trcrefill,

Thanks for your assment but if the horizontal head alignment is off wouldn't that show up accross the entire length of the print rather than ever 1.5 inches?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Bithead said:
trcrefill,

Thanks for your assment but if the horizontal head alignment is off wouldn't that show up accross the entire length of the print rather than ever 1.5 inches?
I think you should clean that disc again with a good amount of alcohol and also
see if you can clean the sensor itself; it may have some dust on it.

Can you rescan the picture again and post a close up of the problem area..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Bithead

If you remove the cover from your printer again, I suggest you measure the diameter of the paper feed rubber rollers. If the diameter of these rollers times Pi equals the distance between the lighter stripes, this suggests a paper feed problem is still present. The timing disk is then still suspect and possibly also the optical sensor reading the disk, as suggested by The Hat.

If the disk is not the cause of the problems, then I don't know what is wrong, but maybe you will find some useful info in this thread and the links provided by ghwellsjr in post #8?: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6459

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Might also be worth looking for a mechanical reason for the problem... Could be a cog has been worn/broken or there's something as unlikely as a protrusion that's knocking/brushing or lifting the sensor.

Sometimes it's the less obvious that can be at fault.

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To all that contributed a suggestion to my problem, a big Thank You.

The Hat, I really cleaned the timing slit disk and removed the sensor and cleaned it. There was some ink in the sensor slot.

A closer look showed that the ink absorber pad had moved out into the path of the disk as it turned and it picked up ink from the pads and got it on the sensor.

I removed the offending piece of pad, put it all back together and the problem is solved!

The i9900 lives on.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Bit head,...This is an interesting problem. Since we don't know what to expect as we look at your pictures we need something different. I suggest you printer a 6 color bar test sheet with the image about 5x7. This will show you any possible clogs, or ink starvation from the ink carts. If it is anything to do with timing disks, or timing strips, or paper movement you will see "Mechanical" artifacts. you can find all kinds of color bars on the web.

Oops,....somehow I missed the last post where you found the problem. It is too late now but I would have realy liked to see that color bar print before you fixed it. Maybe next time.

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Bit head,...This is an interesting problem. Since we don't know what to expect as we look at your pictures we need something different. I suggest you printer a 6 color bar test sheet with the image about 5x7. This will show you any possible clogs, or ink starvation from the ink carts. If it is anything to do with timing disks, or timing strips, or paper movement you will see "Mechanical" artifacts. you can find all kinds of color bars on the web.

Oops,....somehow I missed the last post where you found the problem. It is too late now but I would have realy liked to see that color bar print before you fixed it. Maybe next time.

Most likley there won't be a "next time". My tool of choice will be a hammer.