i9900 Pics showing disassembly for ink pads

brady38

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Nick:
If you look down at the left end rear of the printer, you will see (2) screws (see - Left back detail) that hold down the black plastic paper carriage assembly. You want to remove the screw closest to the back of the printer.
On the right side of the black plastic paper carriage assembly, you will see (2) screws (see - Right back detail) that are to the left of the lower electrical motor and under the wiring. You want to remove the screw closest to the back of the printer.
If you have removed the wrong screws, just remove the other set of screws. But be sure to put the screws you previously removed in place before removing the second set. Otherwise the paper carriage assembly will come loose. You do not want that to happen.
At that point you should be able to lift the printer carriage up from the back and then slide in towards the back to release it from the front hold down lugs.
As far as using force, the printer carriage is fairly heavy and the force needed should be no more that lifting a few pounds. I can not believe the carriage is stuck to the pads from excess ink buildup.
Unfortunately, I have already assemblied mine, so I can no longer take additional pictures to help you out.

brady38

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
:) Just an update: Purchased a new printhead directly from Canon. By the way, they were far cheaper than e-bay. $81.00 shipped. My trusty i9900 is working great, I think better than when new.

I will be posting pictures of the old printhead. I disassembled the head and circuit board, and discovered there is an exposed piece of electronics on the back side of the circuit board. This recesses into a cavity on the backside of the printhead, but is not water tight. This element will get wet if wet cleaning the printhead. Even though I used compressed air to dry the printhead before re-installing, not enought air could reach this element to property dry. Upon reinstalling the print head in the printer, this must have shorted out the printhead. :(

:D My advice is if wet cleaning your printhead, be very careful not to soak the area behind the circuit board. Then let the printhead air dry, at least overnight. Reinstall in printer and pray. :rolleyes:

David

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I've always recommended letting a print head dry for two days in a warm spot. The last time I didn't follow my own advice, I not only burned out the print head, it also burned out the printer, but at least it didn't burn out any more print heads.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
nicely done !!! great pics

got about 8 months left on my MP830 until i hit 100% any idea what % you were at ??

thx

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500(spare), MP830(2 spares)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

brady38

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jimbo:

I was probably at 50-60%. The pads had ink soaked into the core of the pads, but the outer fabric was still white. When I print, I usually wait until I have many pictures to print, usually 10 to 50, so I am not turning the printer on and off frequently. Since you are not purging that much, the pads stay pretty clean. I print at least a 4x6 picture of my keepers. As an example, I just got back from a Carribbean cruise, took 585 pictures and will print approx. 500.

If you go to dbrady.zenfolio.com, I have at least a 4x6 printed of what you see. I also print 13x19, 11x17 and 8x10 to hang on the wall. All these pictures were printed with my i9900. That represents the amount of ink that was in my inkpads.

I also never print borderless prints. If I want a borderless print, I trim the print after printing. So I am not loading up the ink pads from that type of printing.

Hope this helps

David

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
brady38 said:
I also never print borderless prints. If I want a borderless print, I trim the print after printing. So I am not loading up the ink pads from that type of printing.
David, can you explain why borderless printing loads up the ink pads?

brady38

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
John:

When you are borderless printing the printhead is "overshooting" the paper width. This is depositing ink on the foam pad which is under the printhead and the length of your printhead travel. There are holes in the base of the printer which lets this ink pass thru to the inkpad below. In fact there is a special stack of pads dedicated to this, that extend higher than the base pads that absorb the ink from the purging.

If you look inside your printer, and if you have a foam pad under the travel of the printhead, you can remove this pad and clean it. You will be suprised how much ink is there and see how the ink is passing thru to the inkpads below.

Buy the way, my description above in based on the construction of my Canon i9900. I also have a new Pixma pro9000 II and it is built exactly the same way. I cannot verify that this is the same for Epson or other manufactures.

David

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
brady38 said:
...my description above in based on the construction of my Canon i9900. I also have a new Pixma pro9000 II and it is built exactly the same way. I cannot verify that this is the same for Epson or other manufactures.
This is pretty accurate for most inkjets..

The bulk of waste ink generated in inkjet printers is from either the priming (ie: when a new cartridge in installed) or cleaning routines (manual or automated) that take place during the life of the printer. So modifications that redirect waste ink to an external container are almost exclusively redirecting this type of waste.

Naturally overspray/borderless printing side steps this so anyone printing a large percentage of their output in this manner should consider a proper service before fitting an external tank so that any pad capacity is reserved for their overspray/borderless printing.

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A bit late joining this discussion, but I think that the i9950 differs from the US i9900 in that it has CD printing, which requires dropping the whole front of the paper carriage down to accommodate the CD carrier, using a large lever on the left.
The bracket through which this lever actuates needs to be removed (two screws I think), as well as the two screws that Brady38 mentioned, before the whole chassis can be lifted clear of the base.
As I recall, there are a number of toothed cogs, actuated by the lever, which are disengaged, and there is also a small spring on the bracket which needs unhooking. This is all from memory, so apologies if I've forgotten anything.

I hope Nickart found this out in the meantime without doing any damage!