i960 nozzle check/ print head alignment colors differ

Irish

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Here's the problem. I have an i960. I figure it was clogged since the color was way off. I've run numerous clean & deep clean cycles through with cleaning fluid. When I run a nozzle check, all 6 colors show up, although the magenta is rather light. When I run a head alignment test print, no color shows up for the Magenta or the Yellow. If I place the print head on a paper towel to wick, it shows all colors are coming through. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Irish said:
Here's the problem. I have an i960. I figure it was clogged since the color was way off. I've run numerous clean & deep clean cycles through with cleaning fluid. When I run a nozzle check, all 6 colors show up, although the magenta is rather light. When I run a head alignment test print, no color shows up for the Magenta or the Yellow. If I place the print head on a paper towel to wick, it shows all colors are coming through. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Hold off with the head alignments and deep cleaning for the time being.
Your printer I believe is six colour so which cartridges and inks are you using
OEM or compatibles and are you refilling them yourself.

Can you change the magenta and yellow cartridge for new ones and then do another nozzle check
and see if that helps and when its possible please post a nozzle check for a closer examination? :)

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Yellow does not print on an i960 print head alignment page. Only Black, Cyan, and Magenta print. You'll need to post an image of your nozzle check, particularly a Service Test Print. Do you know how to force the printer to print a Service Test Print?

Wayne

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printhead alignment will only show dark-light grey and blue patterns when you do it automatically, manually you can see some grey shades and blue again, but no other colors.

What ink are you using with your printer? Maybe the ink is the problem make sure to check for dark and magenta stripes? Is any of those missing?

Irish

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to cover all now.

I did change out the Magenta cart with a new one. Have not changed yellow yet. Waiting to see how this goes. It's fairly new and still full.
I only use Canon Ink. Posting pic's of nozzle check and head alignment after changing out magenta cart. You can see that on the nozzle check, there
is a faint tinge of color (although looks gray) but nothing at all on the head alignment.

9075_nozzle_check.jpg

9075_head_alignment.jpg

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Force a service test print. Follow the instructions below carefully.

Turn off the printer. Allow all activity to stop and wait for the green light to go out.

HOLD DOWN the Power Button, but do not release it!

WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE POWER BUTTON, press the page feed button above it TWICE.

RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON (This enters the printer into the Service Mode).

Allow the printer to stop making noises and wait for the green button to stop flashing.

PRESS the page feed button ONCE.

PRESS the POWER button once.

The printer should print a Service Test Print.

Post THAT instead of a standard nozzle check.

NOTE: To exit the Service Mode, turn the printer off and wait for no activity and the green light to go out. Then power on the printer. It will eject one blank page, then you will be back in normal function. The printer will not print from the computer if it remains in the Service Mode.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Also, I don't see ANY "regular" magenta on your nozzle test print post. If that's the case, it's either:

a BADLY clogged Magenta channel in the print head. Typically you get streaking or banding in printing before a solid clog forms. If ALL SIX color bands show on your "paper towel test, it's not a lack of ink at the nozzles.

a very poorly feeding Magenta cart. A Canon OEM cart is highly reliable.

a Bad print head, which happens suddenly . Unfortunately, this is the most probable fault. And print heads for the i960 are no longer manufactured.

a Bad connection within the printer.

Wayne

Irish

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I tried 3 times to force a Service Test Print. I followed instructions exactly. It would never print - would power down with the single pressing of the power button after the pressing once of the page feed button.

So...any recommendations for a new printer....looks like it may be coming to that....

Thanks

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
You can obtain a used i960 on eBay or Craigslist. Several come on eBay every week or two.

Wayne

Irish

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try that for now, but was wondering about recommendations down the road for a brand new printer.