i9100 Black and White prints

devilwoman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been searching for any simple solutions to this problem without getting into any major calibration or gamma settings or profiling. I mean there must be an easy way to get a simple quality black and white image from this printer with out all the hupla...isn't there? I have used many different papers and many different inks including Canon's stuff. I was getting a slight redish hue, that was with the print preview on through the printer. Turn that off and now its a slight greenish hue. Can anyone tell me what settings they use to get quality black and white images. Because to me it would seem to be logical if I cant get true black and white images how can my colors be true? Anyway your help would be appreicated. Thanks.

Just sent away for some epson, Red River and Ilford papers to see it this helps. Holy cow by the time I am done I could have just bought another printer and dedicated it to Black and White. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
devilwoman,

Welcome to the forums! I've been having a similar issue with BW photos, mine come out with a bit of a blue hue / tint to them. It isn't really noticeable until you hold it next to an original b/w image.

I'm with you, if my settings are screwy with b/w images, then they most definitely must be off with color.

I'm slowly tweaking my printer default settings and adjusting the colors. I don't have a perfect solution, but I'm not discriminating enough to need to do major calibrating etc.

One question: Did you say that the color shifted just by turning off the print preview feature? I would think this option is mutually exclusive of any color settings.

devilwoman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
devilwoman,

Welcome to the forums! I've been having a similar issue with BW photos, mine come out with a bit of a blue hue / tint to them. It isn't really noticeable until you hold it next to an original b/w image.

I'm with you, if my settings are screwy with b/w images, then they most definitely must be off with color.

I'm slowly tweaking my printer default settings and adjusting the colors. I don't have a perfect solution, but I'm not discriminating enough to need to do major calibrating etc.

One question: Did you say that the color shifted just by turning off the print preview feature? I would think this option is mutually exclusive of any color settings.

I'm sorry I read where someone had mentioned that and at one time my B&W were coming out with a redish tint and I think I had my print preview on through the printing program of the i9100. I cant check right now since I am away at work for two weeks. Anyway now after all the tweaking and adjustments that I can even remember I've done the prints are a greenish tint. So that is where I am. I have ordered a butt load of different inks and paper so when I get home I will have my spare time sitting at my printer to figure this thing out. I have been all over the web at about 20 forums asking and looking for answers to this question. Here is another question I have been putting out there hoping to get some feedback and maybe you know what I am talking about: Here is my latest inqueiry -

Ok let me wrap my brain around all this profiling stuff. I know that my monitor can be adjusted through Windows, the graphics card, or through a downloaded program or through photoshop or paintshop (GAMMA). Is that correct? My printer can be adjusted through printer properties through control panel, through various programs used to print the picture and through printer software that comes with the printer. How am I doing so far? Lets leave the monitor adjustments for now and focus on the printer. I have a question about my i9100. It seems that Icc profiles are in the printer properties/preferences under the control panel, when downloading the software for the printer it has some ICC alread in the set up, which one do you use? About 15 choices.
Yet in the printer set up for i9100 also has a profile where you set EFFECT, GRAYSCALE etc., then you can name that setting. When you are trying to correct an image, should you be tweaking all these areas? I mean holy cow where does one start...really? I've read much about greenish tine and I too get this in all my B & W. So do you tweak the ICC or mess around with the printer set up or do you adjust the monitor... Will continue to learn but if someone can get me started as to what I need to do first? My monitor seems fine. It gives me the grayscaling I want...colors check true. Thanks.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
My old HP 5550 has a "Print in Grayscale==>Black Print Cartridge Only" setting that allows me to run with only the "56" black cart in the printer. I suppose that you could leave the "58" tricolor cart in place, but it only holds 1/3 as much black as the 56 and it costs more. I flushed and refilled an old 56 cart with "Photo Black" ink (available from most ink suppliers), since the ink that comes in the 56 cart is pigment based (designed for conventional printing) and drys to a matte finish that is easily scratched. The Photo Black (used in the 58 cart) is dye based and is much glossier and scratch resistant. You may have to spend some time adjusting the brightness/contrast in your original images to get the right tone in your prints, as HP's 5550 driver doesn't support adjustments to the ink laydown rate. There may be other printers with the "black ink only" option, but I don't know which ones.

You should be able to pick up a 5550 for about the same cost as getting your present printer profiled, but without the hassle of delaing with color management:
http://search.ebay.com/hp-5550-prin...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

Obviously, this would only make sense if you need to print a large number of images - otherwise send them out and have them printed (Google for "Photo Prints"). It also does not answer your problem with color casts on color prints.