i860 wit's end

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'm sooo frustrated. My Canon i860 used to be a super printer. I used some third party inks. Maybe that ruined it. I finally couldn't get it to show clean nozzles no matter what I did. I blew it out with compressed air, I used alcohol, I used a bit of warm water. I had gone back to Canon inks. I took the printer to have it cleaned and the print head replaced, if necessary. No real improvement although the service guy said it looked fine to him, just a lot of hair in it. Not too surprising as I have 5 little hairy dogs. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers. No improvement. I just today received the new print head I ordered. Installed it, no real improvement. I still get faint lines across the image, the image isn't clear and sharp as it used to be. I've tried different settings on the printer software. I didn't think there was much more than the print head, software, and ink to go wrong. What has happened? I bought the printer about 4 or 5 years ago.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've had the same problem with an old DeskJet... no matter what did (OEM cartridges, multiple cleaning processes, etc.), the first 3-5 and the last 4-8 lines were pale. Finally I gave up.... and now I have a new DeskJet :)

If you find a solution, please let me know... I'm curious what might had happened to my old inkjet printer.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I've been starting to think that I was going to have to replace this one. But with what? I really like Canon, but which one is as fast, good, and cheap, as the i860? Anyone have good ideas?

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
If both of your iP860 print head are good just buy a used iP4000 and you will have extra print heads that will interchange.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ron350, That seems like a good idea. I wondered what Canon had replaced the i860 with. Are there other differences than the cabinets they're in between them?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It appears that the 4000 is as difficult to find as the 860. Is there a later one that uses the same print head?

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
The only information I have is that print head #QY6-0049 works in i860, iP4000, MP760, and MP780.

I picked up a used i860 that does not have a paper feed holder, just for the print head.
My sister in-law has an iP4000 and is using Cosco cheap ink so I am waiting for her to burn out the head.
I have been waiting for two years now. LOL

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
popsy.,... If you have tried a new printhead and new ink carts and still get the same results, I would suppect you purge unit. It could be excessive clogged ink, bad or clogged suction tubes, bad pump, stuck open valves, etc, etc. If the purge unit is not working, it can't such the correct amount of ink into the printhead, so when you print the ink in there runs out.

Given that it is at least printing, scan a copy of the nozzle check print and show us what the patterns look like. I my experience, there is no reason you can't get your i860 back to printing fine if you have a new printhead. I have created Canon Repair Manuals for just about every printer that Canon has made. These manuals show you and teach you how to take apart and repair just about everything inside the printer. If you are interested just send me an email and I reply with more information and some samples.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for any help! I've uploaded a just-done nozzle check.

743_nozzlecheck.jpg

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Trying it all again. I hope it's right this time.

743_nozzle2.jpg

It's closer to the actual print, I think, although still not great.