haeffnkr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my pic -

http://webpages.charter.net/haeffkr/pics/chair.jpg

This is what my canon i560s printer prints out -

http://webpages.charter.net/haeffkr/pics/chair_pic_pic.jpg

My tanks are refilled and not empty - These are the same canon carts for my 3000 pixma printer - and this printer was working fine a few weeks ago, now today all the cleaning, nozzle checks, etc. will not help this thing print any better.

Do I need to manually clean the print head, take it out type thing?
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks Kevin
haeffkr at charter dot net

haeffnkr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This printer prints out text fine, but any pic printed has the bars shown in the linked pic.
Any ideas on what to try and fix/clean?

Would a clogged print head/cartridge make those crazy bars?

thanks Kevin

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Do a nozzle check.

You'll probably need to soak and flush.

haeffnkr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I soaked it twice and blew it out.
I pulled the ceramic piece off twice and it was all clean and all open.
Deep cleaned 10 times.

Now I can not get the blue/cyan color to come out at all.
The cart is full the top of the screen is wet.
Did something happen with the print head?

I was missing yellow.
Now no blue....getting frustrated.

How can I test the print head is working?

thanks Kevin

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You did a nozzle check and only blue is missing?
Interchange the yellow and blue carts.
You know the yellow cart and the yellow nozzle are good.
If the trouble is in the blue cart it won't print through the yellow nozzle.
If the yellow cart won't print through the blue nozzle, then the problem is still either in the ink channel leading to the blue head or electronic.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The pic you posted looks like every other row is missing yellow and cyan, so only magenta and black are there.
The situation now I don't know, so I would advise to do a nozzle test and show it here.

haeffnkr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This is the nozzle check before I started all the cleaning yesterday, only missing yellow, blues looked OK (I guess?)

http://webpages.charter.net/haeffkr/pics/nozzle_check_before.jpg

I deep cleaned this thing again this morning, for about the 15th time after cleaned it and soaked it and blew it dry with my compressor and pulled the ceramic part loose too......and this is what I get, no blue.

I then swapped the blue and yellow and did a nozzle check, and got some blue in the yellow spot but now yellow in the blue spot.
No pics of this...

I pulled the head again and am soaking it up to and barely over the screens in 70% iso alcohol.
I will leave it in there for a while and see what happens after I pull it out and blow it clean.

thanks for all the help so far.
Kevin

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I guess you mean these two pictures:
http://webpages.charter.net/haeffkr/pics/nozzle_check_aftercleaning.jpg

They are really strange, because they should look like this: normal i560 nozzle check

Reasons for a bad nozzle check can be:
1. Ink starvation. Use a fresh cartridge and make sure the vent hole is free.
2. Clogged print head. Try to clean it. If this happens regularly, perhaps the purge unit is damaged: you can test it by soaking the sponge with water and perform a cleaning cycle. If the water is not gone, the PU is clogged or damaged. Other test: make several cleaning cycles and watch the ink level drop in the carts.
3. The nozzles are not clogged, but damaged beyond repair.
4. Electronic problems.

If you want to test if your head is clogged, first make sure that there is enough ink in there (use a fresh ink cart and perform one or more cleaning cycles). Then remove the head from the printer, remove all ink tanks but the one you want to test and gently press some Kleenex against the nozzle plate for a short time. It should produce one or two marks on the tissue which are as long as the line of nozzles (Example with cyan - there is also some yellow because it was tested before). If this is not the case, your print head is still clogged. If all nozzles are perfectly visible on the tissue after you tested all colors, there is something else wrong with your printer and additional cleaning won't help.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I agree with 'Defcon2k'.
If the tissue paper shows the cyan nozzles have ink (two cyan outside then two red, one yellow in the centre?)I'll stick my neck out and say that the cyan nozzle has an electrical fault.The nozzle check shows consistent lack of color in one area.I think a partial blockage would not be as consistent.
If you lightly wet the tissue with alcohol and gently rock the head from side to side then you can see the colors pushing up against the screens which would suggest that there is no block.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
This sounds like an electrical problem, not a clog.

Pull the print head. There are a number of spring loaded pins that push into contact with the gold contacts on the back of the print head. GENTLY, push on each pin - does each pin spring back out to the same position as the other pins? If one or more pins stick in, this is probably your problem.

If the pins all operate properly, gently clean the gold contacts on the back of the print head with a soft pencil eraser and reinstall the print head. If the problem still persists, the problem could be in the print head, the flexible cable that carries the signals to the print head or the printer's mother board.