I want to upgrade my Canon Printer MG5650

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Take out the paper cassette and turn over the printer. You should see two greyrollers with rips on it.
I’d be very cautious about turning over any inkjet printer, they tend to get frightened and poop on themselves..

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
Worked for me all the time. But you are right, it might happen. But think about sending a used printer somewhere. Even with full inkabsorbers it can be sent to service without big problems.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Don't be so sure about that, unless you transport the printer in your own car, in a horizontal stable position.
I've purchased used printers a couple of times. One of them was a Pixma IP4500. The machine ended up being in good working order but the seller send it with carts installed, just wrapped in plastic sheets inside a cardboard box. In all likelihood, during the travel the parcel was turned upside down or sideways several times.
When I opened the box, what a mess !. The ink had soaked all the body of the printer in and out. I had to spend hours cleaning it. Luckily it didn't permeate the plastic wrappings.
I'm not sure if it was ink leaked from the carts (they were almost full), from the waste inks pads or both but I won't be purchasing another used printer. If you don't pick the machine in person, you don't have any control on the packing and the transport.

Last edited:

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
This one of the printers which have been heavy used with refill inks. The reset is easy with a combination of the buttons. Only a few people disassembled them to clean the ink pads.
I have MG5350 here with Error 5b00 waste pads full. I had it standing upright for a week without ink coming out. Also here in Germany is the story of ink coming out of a printer running over the desk. But every time I ask what really happened, there is no answer.
What happened to you once could have been heavy misuse and not the normal thing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What happened to you once could have been heavy misuse and not the normal thing.
O’ it’s the normal thing alright, it happened to me too, that’s why my warning, because I can say with Canon printers, if not kept horizontal then all bets are off (Up position) and you run the risk of leakage of the waste pads into the interior of the printer..
Mine was a €1000 printer,…
P.S. if needed to be transported to a Service Centre by courier then strap it to a small pallet for safety..:thumbsup

Latest posts