I think it's finally dead (MX860)

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had gotten the dreaded 'B200' error a couple of months ago but I fixed it by closing the lid on power up when the printhead was to the left (google for more info if interested). Ok well today it did it again so I reset it once but the error came back and then the screen slowly faded to black and then the printer wouldn't come back on.

Questions
1. What exactly causes this B200 error?
2. Is there anyway to revive this printer (doubtful)?
3. What exactly happened that caused this not to power on anymore?
4. Anything I should salvage from it before I toss it (besides the ink)? I've got an MX870 but I doubt any parts would be useful for it but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Only Canon can answer properly your questions. We can only guess, going by former experiences of other users.

1 - Whatever the exact reason, it’s often related to printhead problems, but not always. Sometimes it's a signal of the printer being on 'terminal condition'.

2 - A new printhead ... possibly.

3 - Hard to say. If it’s a defective printhead, a new one would revive the printer, but there’s also a fair chance of the logic board of the printer being damaged (by itself or by a defective printhead). It might be also the power supply, although this is a rare occurrence.

4- Maybe the power supply ( provided it isn’t the faulty part). You’d have to check the PSU of both printers to see if they’re the same model.

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This might sound like a silly question but is the power cord universal?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the same type of power cord is used for most or all Canon and other brands of printers for home and office use, so I would call the power cord universal, as long as you stay in the same country or region.

But different types of plugs are used in different countries. so the same power cord cannot be used world wide. See this.

rrreinig

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
I have a Canon MX870 with the B200 error also. It served me faithfully for 10 years, all with refilled cartridges.
When I first received this error I was able to reset it using the method you describe. Every time I powered up, the error would come back but I was able to reset it. After about a week it finally refused to go away. During this week I did several nozzle tests. All were perfect so I don't suspect the printhead. I read online that another possible cause for this error is the power supply (as you also discovered) so at that point I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new printer.

In my opinion (I haven't verified this) the power supplies in the MX860 and MX870 are probably identical. These two printers are very similar. It may be worth a try to swap them and see if this fixes the error.

I now own a Canon Maxify MB5120 that I consider to be a wonderful replacement for my old MX870 in every area except photo printing (which I don't do much of). And even photos are decent, although not in league with the Canon photo printers I have owned.

I haven't yet thrown out my old MX870 printer, its QY6-0073 printhead, the three sets of Canon PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges that I refilled using the German method, or the chip resetter. Too many years of good memories I guess. But its taking up room that I need for other things so it will eventually go. If you or anyone else has a need for any of these items I would be glad to give them to you if you will pay the shipping (I live in Florida USA).

Sorry I can't be of more help to you. Good luck with your printers.

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Question, can you refill the MB5120?