I have seriously screwed something up

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I'm just speculating and it doesn't matters now, but looking closely that nozzle check, the photo magenta band seems not only too strong but with a slight reddish hue.
Perhaps the ink that went wrongly into the PM cart wasn't magenta but red. The mix with the remanent amount of photo magenta in the cart gave that tone between red and magenta.

Last edited:

Fish323

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290 Canon Pro 10s
This is the feedback from Octoink:
Hi William,

Bit difficult to tell from those images but at a guess it looks like it might be the Magenta and Light Magenta's switched around.

If you've topped up the cartridges rather than refilling from empty that might be a factor as it does look a bit odd compared to when we've made that sort of mistake (and believe me I have with my own refilling).

Don't think the Cyans or Black/Greys are affected but can't be 100% sure... If you have another set of cartridges I'd do the Magenta, Photo Magenta first and see if that fixes things.

Regards,

Martin

Fish323

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290 Canon Pro 10s
Thank you ALL very much. I am not 100% sure what the problem was. I dumped and flushed both Magenta and Photo Magenta and it solved the problem. I think the magenta was ok, but I strongly suspect I put red in the photo magenta. I am a complete muppet.

Fish323

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290 Canon Pro 10s
As I was doing those two carts, I thought I might as well do the lot of them. I got to the end and thought... Have I made another mistake? Why was the photo cyan still in the box. Had I used it twice???!!! When I checked the laptop software it was showing half full. Had I forgotten to reset it? I took it out and weighed it. Fortunately, I had forgotten to fill it.
Gonzo

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As I was doing those two carts, I thought I might as well do the lot of them
The procedure to STOP you from refilling a cart with the wrong ink to use a simple formula, select one cart at a time, and use patience as your guide, never refill in a hurry, and always start by resetting the chip first..

Now with cart in hand match it to the correct colour refill bottle first, and when you’re sure it’s the right bottle, then check it again because both photo and black inks look very much alike.

This all sound silly and unnecessary but like you, every one of us have made the same mistake before and even some of us have done it twice (But won’t admit to it), these carts are so easy to refill that mistakes are going to happen if you don’t follow the correct refill steps..

Remember refill first then patients second and third, because refilling is faster if you take your time.. This goes double if your topping up using the dribble method..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Thank you ALL very much. I am not 100% sure what the problem was. I dumped and flushed both Magenta and Photo Magenta and it solved the problem. I think the magenta was ok, but I strongly suspect I put red in the photo magenta.
Glad we figured it out...

I am a complete muppet.
You're in good company...

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
not to worry, we've all been there. consider it a tuition expense.

The Hat had some great advice, take your time, one refill at a time, double check you are using the correct ink before refilling.

also best to not to try to fill to the max. overfilling makes a mess, another one of my many tuition expenses over the past 15 years refilling.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX870, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: first Hobbicolors, then OCP, now ASPEN
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes