I feel stupid... using dye on pigment-ink cartridge

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I really feel dumb... no wonder there was a difference in the quality of OEM black versus my refilled black. Seems taht the BCI-24 blk is pigmented (so says the Canon brochure), but the store sells me dye ink, and I use it like a dumbass....

What effects will dye ink have on nozzles designed for pigment inks? I asked my seller if he has pigmented black ink, he says "there is no market for it". GRRR!!

alchemist

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The dye ink will not harm the printhead, but you will most likely get a greater degree of intercolor bleeding between the dye black and the dye ink colors.

Find another source for a pigmented ink, your source does not understand the market or image quality.

Alchemist

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have refilled my HP 45 with dye based black ink. It still works. The text is blacker than black. How do you describe it? Pigmented black looks grayish. When printed in bold it look darker but plain text really looks gray. It's not uncommon to refill with dye based black ink. If it works for you it is cheaper. Isn't it only a few bucks each?

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thread digging here, but after a few months of using dye ink on the pigment-black BCI-24, so far my black printhead still prints good. I wish I could say the same for my colored printheads.

The printer does print out a very black "black" and sometimes it looks very wet. I've had to tone down the black's intensity/saturation in the printer settings menu just to keep it from "seeping through" to the back of the paper, since I print double-sided always.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Can you post a image for example of "a very black "black" and sometimes it looks very wet" and "blacker than black"?? I just want to see it and wonder would it be acceptable, since I'm gonna refill mine with dye black ink as you.

PS: I print double side, music notation.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
thanhhuy123 said:
Can you post a image for example of "a very black "black" and sometimes it looks very wet" and "blacker than black"?? I just want to see it and wonder would it be acceptable, since I'm gonna refill mine with dye black ink as you.

PS: I print double side, music notation.
I wouldnt hold out waiting on an answer because this post is seven years old.
Alexanderci hasnt in fact poster here for years and probably has for gotten all about in us here, which sometime happens. :frow

Maybe someone else who has a HP printer and uses dye inks maybe be able to answer your question..

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, I'm sorry to post in a (very) outdated thread! Hoping...

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Well, here's what I can tell you. Double-sided printing with an ink jet requires heavy paper for best results -- about 20 pound or higher.

My HP printer uses dye black for double-sided printing and pigment for single-sided, because dye doesn't show through the paper as much. Your printer may be different, but ...instead of substituting, it's best to use ink that is as close as possible to the manufacturer's ink.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Will A4 80gsm enough for double-side printing? Or may need higher like 90 or even 100gsm?? (Actually in my country they only sell 70gsm and 80gsm A4 paper of PaperOne, IK APlus and some no-name).

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I don't do much double-sided printing, but I have 75, and I think it is good enough.