I cannot deactivate management of color in the driver in Mac OSX

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am trying to outline my printer. I need to print a target with Ps Elements software. I deactivate the management of color in Ps Element.

I cannot management the gestin of color in the driver of the printer in Mac OSX 10.6.6. The options of management of color turn out to be deactivated. It is not allowed to me select any.

I show in images the problem:

http://img824.imageshack.us/i/capturadepantalla201102fd.png/
http://img573.imageshack.us/i/capturadepantalla201102yn.png/
http://img132.imageshack.us/i/capturadepantalla201102o.png/

If someone knows how to deactivate completely the management of color in the dialog box of the driver of the printer I would be grateful for it to him.

My printer is a Canon MP640 and I use Mac OSX.

I suppose that many of these printers will be similar in these cases.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Red John

I have both Mac 10.4 and 10.5 and I use CS4 but PS Elements is basically the same when it comes to print.
In PS Elements allow the printer to manage Colours and then enable colour management in printer dialog box, which should work for you.

If it doesnt then youll have to get the latest print driver from Canon for your MP640 and hope there is one, (Age)
Then the problem probably lies with Canon for not keeping up todate with newer operation systems like Mac.
The Mac OSX 10.6. is all 64 bit and is not backwards compatible with 32 bit unlike 10.4/10.5 are, so you will need an all 64 bit driver for that printer.
The only other alternative is to duel boot between 10.6 and 10.5 or even Windows with Bootcamp.. :|

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Snow Leopard is capable of booting in 32/64 bit mode and to run 32 bit applications in 64 mode, but some apps/software wont run if OSX it's in 64 bit mode (rare but can happens). Your problem seems to be with the printer driver and not with the OS. Like it was mention before try the latest driver for your printer, also do a software update and see if apple itself has released a printer driver update like they did not to long ago for Epson printers. If no new updates are available or fix your problem try booting your mac in 32 bit mode, sometimes some drivers work better in 32 bit mode. Good Luck.

OSX Startup Mode Selector
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32252/32--or-64-bit-kernel-startup-mode-selector

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Update to your latest printer driver: I had a similar problem on my Macbook Pro before and there was not way to disable colour management, but the most recent Epson driver solved the problem.

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
Outline ~== profile?
Yes. I wanted to say it.

The Hat said:
Red John

I have both Mac 10.4 and 10.5 and I use CS4 but PS Elements is basically the same when it comes to print.
In PS Elements allow the printer to manage Colours and then enable colour management in printer dialog box, which should work for you.

If it doesnt then youll have to get the latest print driver from Canon for your MP640 and hope there is one, (Age)
Then the problem probably lies with Canon for not keeping up todate with newer operation systems like Mac.
The Mac OSX 10.6. is all 64 bit and is not backwards compatible with 32 bit unlike 10.4/10.5 are, so you will need an all 64 bit driver for that printer.
The only other alternative is to duel boot between 10.6 and 10.5 or even Windows with Bootcamp.. :|
Yes. Ps Elements has the same engine of impression that Ps CS.

The problem is in deactivating completely the administration of color, so much of software (Ps Elements) as of driver.

http://img829.imageshack.us/i/capturadepantalla201102c.png/

I can disconnect the administration of Ps Elements's color but I cannot or know disable the administration of color of the driver.

I have just installed the most modern driver for Mac OSX for my printer but me there continue appearing the same dialog boxes that I showed before.

I must do something badly or the option must be in another side. I must be able to disable of the driver any administration of color. What sense would not have to be able to do?

Thanks.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Maybe I'm confused, but this is different from what my perception is ... or I am not understanding the reply. Or PS-E is different than full PHotoshop? Or things work differently with Win-7 vs Apple as far as having "Printer controls color" and a profile both active?

My understanding is that the purpose of having a profile is to override what the printer would do if it manages color. If you are using the printer manufacture's ink and paper, then you don't particularly need a profile, and may well be satisfied with "Printer Manages Color".

If you are using non-OEM paper and especially non-OEM ink, then my (perhaps uninformed) opinion is that an accurate, well prepared profile can result in prints that look closer to what you are seeing on your monitor. YMMV. You can find all kinds of posts that the learning curve on printer profile devices is non-trivial.

My impression is that if you have the printer manage color, and somehow also have a profile active, then you can get a "double profile" situation. My observation is that when you specify "Printer manages color", then the widget to specify profile is grayed-out / disabled.

More typical for "double profile errors" is if you have "Photoshop manages Color" and didn't get ColorManagement:None accomplished in the print driver.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
"In Snow Leopard you don't have to do any fiddling to turn off colour management - the new Canon drivers under Snow Leopard turn off Color Management by default once you've chosen to let the application (in your case PS elements) apply a print profile. That's why Colorsync is automatically chosen (and greyed out so you can't change it). Similarly the 'Color Options' are set to 'standard' default and greyed so you can't make any changes. As long as your media choice under "Quality and Media" is consistent with the profile, you'll get a good print."

Hope that helps

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
What lolopr1 says...

The new update to Snow Leopard 10.6.6 automatically turns off colour management of one or the other, that is PS control, or the Pro 9000.

As a new Mac user and new Pro 9000 user it had me scratching my head for a while too, thank goodness for the Net and this Forum :)

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
lolopr1 ... I'm a Win7 user, and wasn't aware that Apple took care of that for you.

IIRC, older Photoshop versions had an option to disable color management by the printer, but it wasn't necessarily coordinated with the actual print driver. There were potential problems with "double profiling" where the user thought Color Management was "None" in the print driver, but it really wasn't.

Newer versions of Win-Photoshop no longer have the "turn off color management" option ... you have to explicitly go into the print driver to accomplish this ... at least for my experience limted only to a Canon 9000-2.