Huge problems with CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridge refilling process!!!

bcar473

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I purchased a refill kit from a trusted seller on Ebay who has been providing me with refill inks for HP and Epson inks for years... but with these Canon cartridges, I haven't been able to get a good refill out of any time I try!

The problems I have is that they leak profusely out of the bottom when either I take off the tape or the provided orange retainer. Its getting pretty frustrating because they leak all over the printhead, the rollers, the inside of the printer and are so messy, I wonder if I am missing a step?

I have followed every step, but I read in some place that there needs to be negative pressure? What do I need to get that?

Am I overfilling the cartridges?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Don't know what refill method you are using, but it sure sounds like you aren't sealing the hole through which you refill. In my case I remove the little plastic ball over the spongeless chamber and fill through that hole. When finished I reseal that hole with a #8 stainless steel screw and a small "O" ring. I have had no problems with the leaks you talk about. Others on this forum champion the German method that you can do a search on.

Steve W.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I agree with on30trainman, what you describe is exactly what happens when the refill hole is not correctly sealed.

In normal use, there are only 2 holes in the cartridge, the bottom sponged one where the ink leaves, and the top of the chamber where you remove the tape when you are installing, the air vent.

When refilling, you create a third hole which needs to be properly resealed.

If you are drilling a hole, or removing the plastic ball from the original on the top of the cartridge, then you need to make sure the bottom hole is sealed with the orange clip to begin with, I use tape or elastic band to do this. Then you refill the cartridge and then reseal the fill hole.

You can do this with the right sized stainless steel screw and O-ring, or failing an O-ring coat the thread with that white PTFE tape plumbers use, making sure you put the tape on such that it doesn't get removed when you turn the screw tight.

OR you could use a glue gun, if you have one. Failing that, I have filled the hole with blue tack (re-usable putty type adhesive) and tape over that. It is important if you are doing tape and blue tac that you dry the hole with some tissue.

Finally, holding the cart over your ink bottle or a waste bottle, carefully release the orange clip from the bottom and you fill find a couple of drops will come out as the pressure created by sealing the fill hole is released. There should be just a few drops that stop in seconds. Then either reseal up or use straight away. If the dripping doesn't stop, then the seal is not good enough.

The German method, which I have also used is pretty simple, check out some links on the forum:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=14284#p14284

But you need needles of 2 inches to reach through the foam into the ink chamber. You create a hole at the base of the front of the cartridge (foam end) as in the pictures above. You dont need to reseal the hole, however if the cart is not to be used for a time, I recommend you seal it with tape or something as, if you also seal the bottom and retape the top air vent as you should do if storing full cart, then if the cart is put under any pressure, ink can come out of that hole.

Try not to inject any air from the syringe. Also take your time, I don't mean go dead slow, but dont ram the ink in like you could using the normal method.

Hope this helps

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't use any other cart besides Canon made ones. Then refill with good ink like Hobbicolor.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I always get stains on my fingers when drilling a hole above the ink compartment even when the orange cap is tightly pressed against the the ink opening. The easiest way to refill is the German Durchstichmethod: no stains on your finger or leaking into your printer and even more important the automatic pressure balance in the sponge, preventing oversaturation of the material which may cause massive banding in your printouts.

DomtheMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My method is simple. Drill the hole in the top of the cartridge, use the rubber bungs you get in proprietory universal cartridge refill filling kits. When refilling I use disposable plastic gloves. Grip cartridge and seal exit (sponge) hole with finger covered in glove.... remove bung with other hand and refill, replace bung. Then the cartridge is sealed so you can remove gloved hand and job done. Obviously this can be used with blutac or whatever but the important thing is to seal the exit hole, and I find that a plastic/latex gloved finger is best!