HP's NEW CARTRIDGES

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
New to the forum here, this is my first post!

I've been refilling Hp 45 & 78 cartridges for years and I've used a CIS on an Epson R320 for the past two years. I just purchased an HP C309a (Photosmart Premium AIO with fax) and I got a CIS for it from www.inkproducts.com. However, I've yet to install it because we've not emptied the cartridges that came with the printer.

Anyway, for anyone interested, the folks at InkProducts claim that if dye ink is used in place of the pigment black in certain HP printers, the printer will clog up. I don't know if this is true, but you can read their assessment on their website here:

http://www.inkproducts.com/Why HP 940 printheads fail.htm

tsiya

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The D5460 uses 2 blacks, one dye, one pigment. It doesn't use photo cyan or photo magenta. Photo black is actually gray.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
kgvickers said:
Anyway, for anyone interested, the folks at InkProducts claim that if dye ink is used in place of the pigment black in certain HP printers, the printer will clog up. I don't know if this is true, but you can read their assessment on their website here:

http://www.inkproducts.com/Why HP 940 printheads fail.htm
Couple of very quick points regarding the article

1. The printhead shown was an HP88, not an HP940...
2. The problem with the use of dyebase in place of the pigment black (in HP88's) at least is only evident if you don't flush a significant amount of dyebase ink through the printer and printhead.
3. If you leave the HP88 using pigment (black) ink in very dry/hot environments it will clog up anyway so you're fubar either way.

I've found that out of four schools using HP K5400 printers with HP88 printheads there is only one that can use pigment black ink, as intended because the printers are located in corridors where the air is constantly moving and there is no air conditioning to dry it out and subsequently the ink in the printhead. All the others had to have their black ink replaced with Dyebase just to keep them going longer than a week or two...

The HP940's may be slightly different in design but that little article doesn't match with my own experience.. Perhaps the ink is different but I'd have my doubts...

My 2pence worth is all :)

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
The HP940's may be slightly different in design but that little article doesn't match with my own experience.. Perhaps the ink is different but I'd have my doubts...

I haven't gotten into this to the point that I know the different print heads - I threw that out to get some comments from the experts here.

It's my understanding that the CIS I purchased has pigment black for black&white document printing and dye-based ink for the photo ink (cartridges on my printer are the 564). Is this OK in your opinion?

Thanks,

Keith

tsiya

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
kgvickers said:
websnail said:

I haven't gotten into this to the point that I know the different print heads - I threw that out to get some comments from the experts here.

It's my understanding that the CIS I purchased has pigment black for black&white document printing and dye-based ink for the photo ink (cartridges on my printer are the 564). Is this OK in your opinion?

Thanks,

Keith
I believe that the OEM 564 carts are filled this way. I've seen no signs of clogging, everything running 100%.

34Ford

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just bought a HP 7560 this week to replace my old Epson r380.
The r380's are bad to clog the black for some reason.

Looks like the CIS for this 5460 above will work for mine?

tsiya

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
"Anyway, for anyone interested, the folks at InkProducts claim that if dye ink is used in place of the pigment black in certain HP printers, the printer will clog up. I don't know if this is true, but you can read their assessment on their website here".

This seems to be a very different system from the printers using HP 546 cartridges. The 546 cartridges mount directly on the printhead and feed right into it by gravity.

tsiya

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
On the D5460 when it decides a cartridge is empty it asks if you want to keep on printing. You push the OK button and keep on going. I haven't come to an expiration date issue yet but I suspect you can just work on through it the same way.
I figure that I would have used 4 sets of cartridgea but the ink in the CISS tanks has barely gone down. No clogs, haven't had to clean the head. It works so good that HP will probably change it!