HP Smart Tank 610 (615 in Asia) grainy prints

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the answers. They helped along with your latest Canon experience.

Could this be the image you use to make the prints with? If the image file caused the same issues on a Canon printer with Canon inks and Canon paper (and different printing App, too?) then this is very suspicious for the source image as the root of the problem.

If you are comfortable posting the actual source file then we can examine it and try printing it out on our printers.

Toonick

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Smart Tank 610 (615)
I'm using the same file as I've also used with my Envy 6010, nothing really changed. I do notice that the software changes the quality/colours of the picture a little bit, but it shouldn't make it pixelated, or atleast it never did.

Of course I'm willing to share the source file, I'm really grateful that you're willing to do that.

Attached you can find two files, one file is a PDF export from the source PSD file. The other file is a PDF export from the software I use for cutting the stickers (Silhouette studio).

I'm very curious of the results.

Attachments

• Aesthetic book - Silhouette.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 214
  • Aesthetic book - PSD.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 227

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm very curious of the results.
Ok, I opened Aesthetic Book PSD.PDF and printed it on some glossy paper, then I saved it as a Tiff and printed in Photoshop, no difference, I also tried it on plain paper and the results were the same.. a perfectly good looking print..

Here are the results.. one is on glossy and one on plain and printed on my Maxify..

Aesthetic book2 -.jpg click to enlarge
P.S. I will delete your files this evening to respect copyright..

Last edited:

Toonick

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Smart Tank 610 (615)
Thank you for doing that, I really appreciate your help.

For me the result still looks pixelated, but that might be due to the scan quality. Could you compare the prints to the pictures I posted when I created this post? Does it look similar or is it more clear (less pixelated/noisy)?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Could you compare the prints to the pictures I posted when I created this post? Does it look similar or is it more clear (less pixelated/noisy)?
Believe me I can’t get the scans any better than 300 dpi and saved as Jpeg to up load here, I compared your origin pictures to these one and your look all washed out like they were anaemic..

If your pictures were done on a Mac you may have to import them into a Windows O/S and save them there and this may improve and remove what you call pixelated/noisy, because I could not reproduce anything like that.. These pictures were perfect..
Aesthetic book2 -.jpg Try printing this one out..

Toonick

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Smart Tank 610 (615)
Unfortunately I can't print at the moment because I returned my printer, but I believe you when you say that your prints look perfect compared to the ones I posted earlier.

So know I know that the problem is not with the file. I also know that the problem occurs for me on both Mac and Windows so that only leaves the printer. But I'm having a hard time believing that three printers (I tested two Canon printers; G3020 and G6070) all give the same pixelated result.

I'm really clueless on what to do next. What more could I test? Why did it work perfectly on my Envy 6010 (Europe) and not on these printers from Asia?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Attached you can find two files, one file is a PDF export from the source PSD file.
Confusing. You posted an exported PDF file rather than just post the source PSD file itself? Why? This alters the image. We are not working with the source file so how can we make a determination if the original source file is an issue to begin with?

First I looked at both images you uploaded using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Even at 400x magnification there was nothing like the graininess seen in your Post #1. There are individual small differences between the two images, an example of how different apps do different things to the image. To me, Aesthetic book - PSD looked best. Check it out for yourself.

Result - the issue is not with the images you posted when examined with Adobe Acrobat..

Second, I printed both of your files on Plain Paper on a Maxify MB5120 using . This is an office printer and not an image printer

Both images came out pleasing to the eye. The "worst" one, and I use that term very lightly, was the "Aesthetic book - Silhouette" with a smidgeon of graininess though NOTHING like your examples. The colors were different between your two images, so changes are being done by the program you used, with or without your knowledge.

I even printed out @The Hat 's image and it was nothing at all like your pixelated image example despite being a copy of a copy!

Last, I can make any image look grainy if I can magnify it enough. I can also make the image look grainy if I first print your source image, next scan that printed source image, and finally then print that scan of your printed source image. Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox copy.

Questions you asked before:
Is there a difference between cartridge and ink tanks in quality? Could the problem come from using an Ink tank and will it be fixed with a cartridge?
Inks may have different effects depending on the quality of the ink, the print head used, and the driver used. Of course the settings you choose to print with and the paper you print on have an effect - reason why I asked about using an inkjet specific sticker paper instead of the "Universal" type paper you posted a photo of. Even the choice of Matte vs Gloss photo paper gives a different effect just as using a Plain paper has a different effect vs a Photo paper.

Maybe the two MegaTank Canon printers perform poorly with the images such as yours. Printing a photograph that everyone agrees is not grainy may be one way to gauge performance. But, I doubt all MegaTank printers will perform poorly with a good image file when the proper settings and paper are used.

Something else is most likely happening.

---------------------------------------------------------
Did anyone ask you if printing other images besides your sticker image were problematic? If other artwork or standard photo images printed appropriately then your specific sticker artwork is the problem.
---------------------------------------------------------

So, we're back to what is wrong. I don't know what file you use to make all your test prints at home or at the store with Canon printers. You gave us an "Export" file, both PDF's, of a PSD source file. That itself may skew the results The Hat and I are seeing.

Your home computer, a Mac that can run Mac and Windows operating systems, is a wild card. I have read from The Hat that Mac's can be temperamental when printing. I cannot advise but he is an expert, so this cannot be discounted yet for the poor result. We cannot rule out anything as the cause.

Then you went to a store and printed on a Canon with Canon inks and Canon paper with the store's computer and app (different than the one's you use).

Barring that the Canon Matte paper may add to your graininess issue, and I'm not saying it did, the only common denominator between home and the store is the image file. Right?

To return to the beginning of this post, what image file did you use at the Canon store? Is it different than the two you posted for us to look at?