Hp reset method, have you heard or tried this?

Wondering_Mike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi forum,

i've bought a hp 5150 and i run windows 7.

And the black cart is preventing the printer to print and I was wondering if anyone knows about this method and has tried it:

Three Cartridge Method

On some models the above procedure won't work, and you'll have to fool the printer by keeping three of the same cartridges on hand (these cartridges can be old, empty cartridges). This works because the printer only remembers the last TWO cartridges which were in it. The procedure is as follows:

* HP 56 Cartridge #1 runs empty - remove it and refill it
* Istall HP 56 Cartridge #2
* Remove HP 56 Cartridge #2
* Istall HP 56 Cartridge #3
* Remove HP 56 Cartridge #3
* Install HP 56 Cartridge #1 (refilled). The printer now thinks that cartridge #1 is new.

from http://www.ink-refills-ink.com/InfoPages/HP Resets/reset_56_58.htm

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know the HP 5150, but I can confirm that both methods work on some older HP printers, the three cartridge method being the most reliable of the two.

I have tried both the 3 cartridge method and the tape trick on a HP PSC 1355, which uses the HP 56 and 57 carts, and can confirm that both methods worked for me. The tape trick works by temporarily changing some bits in the cartridge serial number, which is burned into a PROM chip at the time of manufacture. I don't know if an open circuit represents a "0" or a "1", but if the pad representing a certain bit is already open circuit, then covering it with tape will not change it. That's why the 3 cartridge method is preferred.

The 3 cartridge method also worked for me with the 45/78 cartridges used in the Deskjet 930C. I haven't tried the tape trick on this printer. I don't know which contact pads to cover with tape.

Edit: Your 56 cartridge might be defective, in that case you will need another cartridge.

Peter.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Wondering Mike I reset my 56/57 carts using the tape methods and 2 sheets of paper following the exact instructions from the excellent Intec site I am in the Uk. Works every time

barfl2

sbrads

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
iP4700
I used all these methods for years with my HP5550 (56, 57 and 58 carts), they all work. One tip..... reset the ink level BEFORE you refill, not after, as these cartridges are best left overnight before using them at all after a refill. Resetting normally causes a few cleaning cycles and calibration runs that are best avoided too soon after filling as it can cause poor ink flow. So, when 3/4 empty, reset, let the printer have its way for a few minutes, refill, after 10 minutes or so put the carts in the printer and don't print anything till the next day. The 57 cartridge was always the one to be troublesome, it's usually OK for about 4 refills then it gets to be more finicky about starting to flow for the first time after a refill.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
sbrads said:
I used all these methods for years with my HP5550 (56, 57 and 58 carts), they all work. One tip..... reset the ink level BEFORE you refill, not after, as these cartridges are best left overnight before using them at all after a refill. Resetting normally causes a few cleaning cycles and calibration runs that are best avoided too soon after filling as it can cause poor ink flow. So, when 3/4 empty, reset, let the printer have its way for a few minutes, refill, after 10 minutes or so put the carts in the printer and don't print anything till the next day. The 57 cartridge was always the one to be troublesome, it's usually OK for about 4 refills then it gets to be more finicky about starting to flow for the first time after a refill.
Did you ever use the priming (suction) tool on the color cartridges? It has dramatically increased my quality and success rate refilling the HP color cartridges.

Wondering_Mike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
But RMM, have you ever heard or tried "the three cartridge" method?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Wondering_Mike said:
But RMM, have you ever heard or tried "the three cartridge" method?
Yes. It works on my older printers that use the 56/57 cartridges. Not sure about the newer printers.

Wondering_Mike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Forum,

thanks for replying to this post. Because of the fact it works for more than one person, I decided to try this method for my self but I'm not sure whether it worked for me or not.
Because it was the strangest thing, before the ink button on the printer kept blinking preventing me to print anything. I had already deduced that the black ink cart was to blame. So I ordered 2 Non-OEM carts. And just when I was about to change the carts, the cover slipped out of my hand and landed with a bang on my printer. Before I knew the printer was making all kinds of buzzing noises and I thought I had destroyed my HP 5150.
But, and this is where the story gets weird, suddenly my printer was printer an alignement page. I had accepted the black cart without even having to apply the "three cart method". I did do the three cart method to make sure I could print. Afterwards I could print but something it would nag that the cart was empty. Letting the cover fall a couple of times and pressing the Cancel button (big red cross) and the paper resume button (arrow pointing down) at the same time for a couple seconds helped somehow.

What do you, people of this forum, think is the saving grace?
"Drop the cover with a bang" or the "two button pressing" of the "three cart method"?

I'm interessed to read your experiences! Oh yeah if you own a HP 5150 please post in this topic and give your opinion!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
On many HP printers the blinking could be a sign of a cartridge not recognised i.e. considered defective or wrong type by the printer. This can be caused by intermittent electrical contact between the contact pads on the cartridge and the contact pins in the cartridge holder. Your knocking the printer improved the contact and the printer detected a proper cartridge and printed the alignment page. A better cure for the malady than knocking the printer is to wipe the contact pads and contact pins with a rag moistened with isopropyl alcohol or electronics contact cleaner. Wiping the contact pads is the first thing I try when a HP cartridge is not recognised by the printer.

Edit: I'm guessing, I'm not 100% sure a contact problem was the cause, but say 90% sure.

Peter.

sbrads

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
iP4700
RMM said:
sbrads said:
Did you ever use the priming (suction) tool on the color cartridges? It has dramatically increased my quality and success rate refilling the HP color cartridges.
I did. Can't remember where I got it from, but probably a U.K. supplier of InkTec ink, and it was a guaranteed way of making a right mess so I gave up on it and reverted to injecting from the top and waiting a day before printing. There's probably better tools available now.