HP Officejetpro 8600 only prints black if only one color cart empty

cosink

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a new HP Officejetpro 8600 and refilled the second set of cartridges (I have found the starter set usually doesn't work when refilled) and the printer would not recognize that the cartridge has ink in it and would not print. I then purchased a new cartridge and it printed. Interesting that the printer will allow you to only print in black if one of the color cartridges is empty. Anyone have any insight on how to disable/override the chip and/or ink monitoring on this new MFC?

joseph99929

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That's really scary news.

Any luck on overriding that feature to let you use the color inks even if empty?

As for advice for overriding the ink level monitor, I own an 8500 which is the predecessor with refillable cartridges using the original chips. All I can say, is just ignore the messages, press OK on the touchscreen and print anyways. Reboot the printer if necessary. Eventually, at least on the 8500, the stubbornness should subside and you should be able to print normally, just that there will be a "?" on the status display for the affected cartridge.

Good luck!

joseph99929

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
cosink said:
I have a new HP Officejetpro 8600 and refilled the second set of cartridges (I have found the starter set usually doesn't work when refilled) and the printer would not recognize that the cartridge has ink in it and would not print. I then purchased a new cartridge and it printed. Interesting that the printer will allow you to only print in black if one of the color cartridges is empty. Anyone have any insight on how to disable/override the chip and/or ink monitoring on this new MFC?
Any luck?

Ink Refill Kit King

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
There is an option in the printer that you can turn off the ink monitoring. On the printer, press the little wrench or menu button, go to tools, then preferences, then scroll down to the 2nd page of the menu you should see the option: Cartridge Chip Information. You can turn off the ink monitoring. Now as a FYI, I have not noticed any difference in using refilled cartridges in the printer myself yet. I'm going to do a test and see if I put in a new OEM set, empty them and then refill them, if it will make any difference.
Here are some pictures explaining what I was saying.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Be prepared. If it is like other HP printers, if you disable ink monitoring, that may also reset your other settings, such as your wireless connection settings. Or maybe not.