HP Officejet Pro 8600 problem printing images

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
@glprint, The refilling procedure for these carts is not plain sailing at all. so, I reckon you have some air still left inside your carts, you could try covering all of the air inlets on the cart as in the instructions, and then stand the cart with the outlet facing up and tap the cart a couple of times on your desk, this should dislodge any trapped air.

Then insert a syringe with the proper tip attached and withdraw the plunger just enough to draw some ink out of the outlet hole, do this with any of the carts that are causing feeding issues.

Please report back afterwards...

I've done what suggested above even using the syringe, but I've seen no improvement: the problem is always the same.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you have followed the Octopus refilling procedure and are still having problems then there must be air getting in somewhere, try using a large syringe with no ink inside it, and insert the filling tip into the cart and pull a vacuum.

You should get all the air out first and stop when you get a little bit of ink, now remove all the tape and try the cart once more, this should give you a good indication if your refilling has been successful...

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
I repeated everything on the yellow cartridge as you suggested: at the end of the procedure with the syringe, the cartridge had the sides pressed because of the vacuum created inside.

After removing the last piece of tape from the large circular hole, the vacuum effect has disappeared but the print problem is the same: the first page is almost perfect while on the pages that you print immediately after, the problem is the same described on my first posts.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@glprint, You’re having a very major problem with that cartridge, it still sounds like you have some trapped air lodge in the line somewhere, try using a large syringe and extract ink from the outlet port this time, as if the cartridge was in the printer, draw about 10 ml of ink out and then try printing something again...

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
@glprint... as if the cartridge was in the printer, draw about 10 ml of ink out and then try printing something again...
do you mean the same procedure done above but with the cartridge in horizontal position ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well no not quiet, there’s no need to keep the cart in the horizontal printing position while attempting to extract ink out of the outlet, it’s just an exercise to see if there could be air trapped inside this outlet...

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
Ok, just to recap, I've repeated everything with the yellow cartridge sealed with tape like shown on video, and in the following positions:

1) Cartridge position image: with the ink outlet upwards, ink can't be extracted with the syringe.

2) Cartridge position image: with the ink outlet toward me, I've extracted 10ml of ink with the syringe.
But the problem is the same :barnie

It's time to buy those new refillable cartridges I've found on Aliexpress ... :D

xristosdino

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Officejet Pro 8600
Hi everyone
I'm new here and this might not be the best place to ask, but can you recommend any good quality hp compatible ink cartridges for our 8600 printer?
Thanks in advance!