HP MFD Not Printing

Revolution

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,
Please help me!
My HP F2418 not working.
Last week when I printed a B&W document printer was working fine.
This week when I tried to print almost a black paper came out from tray with few very very light dots or lines.
I thought cartridge need to refill.
So,I refilled but did not help anything.
Now when I trying to print color or B&W document same almost white paper coming out with almost invisible few dots or lines.
Do u guys thinks its problem of printer or cartridge ?
I refilled my Black cartridge 3 times till now but not the color.
HP printer detect I'm refilling so its not working or both cartridge gone down or printer gone bad ?
Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Revolution wrote:

...This week when I tried to print almost a black paper came out from tray with few very very light dots or lines.
I think the word "black" is a typo, and it should read "blank" ? If so I think that both cartridges need refill/replacement.

Probably the black cartridge has failed, these HP 300 cartridges are fragile. Does any of the cartridge error lamps light or blink?

HP printer detect I'm refilling so its not working or both cartridge gone down or printer gone bad ?
Each HP cartridge has an individual serial number and the printer remembers these. Reinserting a previously used cartridge triggers a warning; I don't remember the procedure, but you can acknowledge this warning and continue printing. The warning lamp will stay lit though and your screen will show a link to an HP site telling you why you should use only new OEM cartridges.

Defective cartridges or defective printer is also possible, so sadly I cannot guarantee that a set of new or remanufactured cartridges will bring your printer back to life.

Revolution

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for reply!
Sorry my mistake.
It was typo.

When I insert the Black cartridge after refill cartridge 'no ink' lamp was blinking.
But,when there was no printing.
I stitch off printer and tried later but then 'no ink' lamp was not blinking and now its not blinking too.

Both Color and B&W cartridges are more than 2 years old.
I only refilled B&W for 3 times and color was never refilled.
I print very rare and B&W documents mainly.

If both cartridges gone bad or printer gone bad then what should I do ?
The small Black cartridge gonna cost Rs.500/ and Tri Color Rs.100/-(total 1500/-).
And a cheap new printer will be same priced.
I'm confused now.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have a HP Deskjet F2480, that I got for free, and which I think is identical or nearly identical to your F2418. I have successfully refilled HP 300 black and tri-color cartridges a few times, but rarely successfully more than once. A cartridge that was empty but OK, was indicated as defective after a refill. I think that successfully refilling the black cartridge 3 times is well done :clap

I powered up the Deskjet F2400 and it indicated 2 bad cartridges, but when changing the cartridges with others I could make the ink lights go out. The cartridges didn't print very well as they were very clogged, but this behaviour leads me to think that your printer might be OK with a new set of cartridges, but I cannot give any guarantee.

If the tri-color cartridge doesn't indicate defective, it might just be empty or dried out if it is more than two years old. You could try to refill it or dip the printhead in a few millimetres of window cleaner with ammonia in a shallow dish for a few minutes. Test if the cartridge will give off ink by pressing it against a piece of soft absorbent paper. You might be lucky and revive the cartridge.

These inexpensive printers are priced similarly here in Denmark. The price is about the same as a set of HP 300 XL cartridges, but a new printer comes with the much smaller standard cartridges. So if your printer is in good mechanical condition, as it ought to be if it has seen only little use, I suggest to buy a set of XL cartridges. Even if it is a bit of a gamble, you could also try to look for a set of remanufactured XL cartridges but don't pay much more half the the price of original HP cartridges.

If you decide to buy a new printer I would recommend a Canon with individual ink tanks (cartridges), as these ink tanks are much more easily refillable than the black and tri-color cartridges used by both HP and Canon in the more inexpensive models. For the Canon ink tanks resetters are available so you can reset the ink tanks to full again after a refill. HP also has a series of printers with individual ink tanks, but no resetter is available.

These printers are more expensive and you will have to invest in refill inks, a resetter and other accessories to refill them. If you only print very little the best economy might be to buy a set of XL cartridges for your printer or in worst case a new two cartridge printer, as you have to refill a set or two of individual ink tanks before your investment in inks, a resetter and other accessories is paid back. From then on you will save a considerable amount of money when refilling. You will be able to refill a cartridge for less than 10% of the cost of a new OEM cartridge.

What is the best thing to do? I don't know, you decide. It depends very much on how much you print.

Revolution

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks again for ur reply.

Yesterday I tried to print again and notice a thing.
While printing I was listening the sound carefully.
First printer took the page in and then first few second(3 to 5) printing speed was very slow and it was normal.
This thing was never happen before when printing was OK.
And still no empty cartridge light showing.
I'm really confused where should I invest now cartridge or new peineter.

Can u tell me which cartridges are supported by my deskjet ?
818 cartridges written on the manual.
I don't know if HP 300 XL cartridges available in my country(India) or not.
Or may be they are available with different name.
Checked at an online shop from our country but 300Xl was not there.
And XL cartridges are costly they near Rs.100/- may be.

And about Canon printer.
Sadly I can't buy resetter from any oversea shop cos i don't have any paypal account.
Though I have to ask to one of my my friend who bought once something from dealextreme(if resetter available there).

I tried at local shop they don't sell Canon Resetter.
But they do sell compatible of Epson and HP.
I'm sure 100% these cartridges made in China.
Individual Epson compatible cartridge were Rs.200/- each and HP compatible 818B was Rs.300/-.
I don't know if they will really work or not.

BTW,do u thing Laser Printer better choice if I only do B&W print.
Thought initial invest will be much more.
Want to know if Samsung ML 2161 if refillable or not.
It cost Rs.5500/- here.
I'm asking cos I hear that laser cartridge not dried up easily even if we don't use it regularly.
Is it true ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe your printer has developed a mechanical problem, the cartridge cariage might bind to the rod it slides along?

Turn on the printer and open the front as if you would change a cartridge. After the cartridges have centered, disconnect the printer from the mains without using the power on/off button. Now test if the carriage can slide freely from side to side, if not a few drops of thin oil on the carriage rod might help. The carriage rod is a shiny rod about 1/4" or 6mm in diameter. Apply oil to the rod where ir enters the carriage. It is the areas marked with red. Using a piece of soft absorbent paper moistened with a window cleaner or just water you could also clean the timing strip. It is marked in green. Be careful not to tear the timing strip. I hope this helps, but again no guarantee.

6881_f2400_cartridges-1.jpg

I forgot that the HP cartridges like Canon cartridges are regionalized, So these printers use the HP 300 cartridges in Europe, HP 60, I think, in the USA and HP 818 in your country. I checked this: https://h30042.www3.hp.com/SureSupply/?AppName=IPSLanding&loc=in&lang=en&searchPrinters=F2418#3

If you want a Canon printer you should buy a resetter in your own country. A resetter for Europe or USA will be of no use for Canon cartridges bought in India, as the Canon cartridges are regionalized. I think the reason for the regionalization is that it gives the possibility of different pricing in different markets.

You could give the remanufactured/compatible HP 818 cartridges a try. If they work it is a good deal at only a fraction of the cost of OEM HP cartridges.

If you only print B/W a laser printer might be a good idea. They are more expensive to buy but less expensive to run than inkjet printers. They are also more robust than inkjet printers, as they contain no ink cartridges that can dry out and be ruined if not used for a couple of months. I don't own a laser printer, so I don't know which one to recommend. Maybe others have some suggestions? If you want to buy a laser printer you could start a new thread to get some recommendations, like for instance: Which laser printer for home use?

I hope that lubrication and cleaning plus a set of the compatible cartridges gets your printer working again, but if not I suggest you get a new printer, maybe a laser printer.

Revolution

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank u very much
Very nicely explain with pic. :)

I'm gonna try lubrication and if that delay slow printing problem at starting solve buy still no print then I think I should try a compatible 818B cartridge.
Compatible cost mare Rs.300/-(may not be L or XL) but it's way cheaper compare to original HP one(Rs.900 only for 200 page).
Do u think compatible cartridge should be more cheaper ?
It's only 1/3rd of original.
I made a mistake last time.
I should have bought a mono laser printer then.