HP LaserJet 5L Prints Uneven Darkness

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My HP LaserJet 5L prints uneven darkness. Do I need a new toner cartridge? If not, what is the cause of this problem?

4064_laserjet_5l.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Did you try removing the toner cartridges and shaking it end-to-end and reinstalling it? Sometimes this can extend the life of the cartridge a little bit. However, I don't even know if that is your problem but it can't hurt to try.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I did that already and the problem remains.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
probably needs a new cartridge. Unfortunately, if your find out after installing a new cartridge that the printer has a problem you wil then own an expensive, useless cartridge!

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Let go with the spirit of this forum. I will refill the toner cartridge. It will not cost me as much if the problem is somewhere else.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I refilled the C3906A toner cartridge without using a hole tool to cut a hole on the cartridge. Just follows the steps on my photo. My HP Laserjet 5L is back to normal.

4064_hp_5l_cartridge.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, classic sign of toner running very low.

Those older HP laser engines are rugged. My Canon LPB430 ( HP4L clone still runs nicely)

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Embguy, Nice job man,that resolution was fast and TY for sharing the refill part.
Edit: During refill of a laser toner I find lot of old toner sticking on to the Mag Roller. This I normally remove by blowing air on to it. This way all the traces of the old toner are removed and results in a much cleaner refill.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jasiiboss said:
Embguy, Nice job man,that resolution was fast and TY for sharing the refill part.
Edit: During refill of a laser toner I find lot of old toner sticking on to the Mag Roller. This I normally remove by blowing air on to it. This way all the traces of the old toner are removed and results in a much cleaner refill.
After taking the side cap off (step 3), one can take the roller off to clean it before refilling with fresh toner.

Cleaning toner cartridge is a messy operation. For the next toner refill, I will make an attachment to my wet and dry vacuum using a half inch rubber tubing to suck the old toner out of the cartridge. Remember to put some water in the wet & dry tank to cut down the amount of toner dust getting out. It will be messy to clean the wet & dry vacuum afterward. On second thought, it is not a good idea after all.

If you get the toner on your clothes, do not wash it with hot water. Heat will fuse the toner onto your clothes permanently.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Yup! you're right using a vac to suck the microfine toner particles is not only messy but I found that the toner particles get into all the unlikely places rendering the vac unfit for other tasks. I personally prefer to blow the toner outdoors and have a polythene enclosure to collect and dispose off the waste.