Hp l7680

inksaver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi! I have a hp l7680 which i really like since i got it for 300 dollars. However, it is designed with only two print head. one for black and yellow and one for red and blue. Anyway, i only print black and white and noticed my yellow ink being drained much faster(odd that it even draining at all). Now my yellow is out and it REQUIRES me to to replace the yellow to print black and white. It ridiculous.

Supposely, it is cheaper than most laser, but with color running out, it a lot more expensive than i thought.

Is there a "Reserve Mode" where it will use only black and white? I did use the properties to print in gray scale--> black only.

Oh, the individual ink tank is CHIPPED.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
You can get L7X80 cartridges which are generic now and there's even some chips and CIS's avaible for this and the K5400 model printers.. The only problem is that the batch of chips I got seem to indicate that HP learned something from the Canon chipping experience.

Yep... They now disable ink monitoring when the run out. Great eh? Still n'all seems to work once you click ok and there's none of this vista style "are you sure you're sure" b*llox that you get with Canon printers but still it's not necessarily the most welcome news ever.

nelida2010

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My friend has a L7680 - and her ink is not coming out , she has refillable cartridges all the colors are working except the Black, she read somewhere she had to clean the print heads with hot water , she tried that and did it with all the colors but , still the black is not coming out. Any ideas?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Do not use a CISS or most refillable cartridges with this printer... you will go through printheads very quickly as they all lack the priming/pump bulb that the factory cartridges have.

In the print settings you can choose black/white and then black cartridge only. This will lower the use of the other cartridges.

Any solution other than refilling factory cartridges (difficult) will lead to trouble with these printers.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
nelida2010 said:
My friend has a L7680 - and her ink is not coming out , she has refillable cartridges all the colors are working except the Black, she read somewhere she had to clean the print heads with hot water , she tried that and did it with all the colors but , still the black is not coming out. Any ideas?
The problem is the ink is pigment and it tends to clog very readily, especially during hot, dry periods of low usage.

The only solution I've found is to replace the printhead and to try and get 3rd party cartridges with a dye black instead to reduce the likelihood of clogging.