HP Inkjet 8710 and 8740 rejecting Costco refills?

markg2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wish to block printer incoming and the firewall is a grand idea. I'll try the printer panel but doubt HP wants to give the user that opportunity. I was incomplete on the Epson vs. network. The printer had two USB slots that could be accessed from any of our computers that accessed the printer. I thought at the time, gee that's a nice way of adding some space for all (my wife and myself) to use. The Epson and the flash drive didn't work well simply as storage from the begining. I ejected the drive and for the next year or so the network continued to show the phantom Epson drive along with some other undefined Epson device. The least said about the awful product the better! Btw, 'Mr. Hat', I will try your suggestion. Nothing ventured....

markg2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
>>>>>If you are concerned about unwanted, unasked for firmware updates then you either want to block Outgoing or Incoming Connection(s) via your Firewall that are used by the printer software/firmware check for new firmware and/or send you the updated firmware. Knowing what to block is the hard part.

It may even be as simple as a setting in the printer's settings to turn off firmware upgrades.>>>>

Yes to goal, yes to check printer control and yes to firewall stop if control panel no go. All of which is conditional on getting the d*mn printers 'fixed'.

Tangentially, I cannot describe how disappointed I am in Costco's lack of performance under duress. A company we've been a more than satisfied customer of and owned for over 20 years. They've obviously been too cheap to update their antiquated IBM A400(?) store mainframes so customer access to store inventory, website/store connection, and.. are incredibly deficient (and that's using the grocery stores as a bar!). I understand that my store's printer/image dept. is closed down. However, I've been trying to find out where they're going with opening the dept., speak to someone who would know (the printer employees) if and when Costco will be able to rechip for the 8710/40 or if another store's dept. is open. I call, select front desk/management and hang up after way too many rings. I called their main customer service number (no email) yesterday--and a recording saying the wait would be 35 minutes.

Just to get a 'chip' answer I'll call Staples today.