HP Inkjet 8710 and 8740 rejecting Costco refills?

markg2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've used Costco to refill our cartridges for years. Twice they had a problem and proactively acknowledged same and you were asked to wait for their receipt of a new cartridge chip when HP changed their OEM chip. Otherwise, no problem.

Until now. ALL of our refilled cartridges (~12+) will not work.

Both of our machines respond the same. Normally, you install a 3rd party cartridge the machine runs it check and notifies you of the non-HP cartridge and I think wants an 'ok' and after doing so, and all is fine.

This time the message (from both machines) says something like bad cartridge, try re-inserting and if no go replace and provides an option to HIDE the message. But the machine has not accepted the cartridge.

I can't find reference to any similar, generalized problem on search.

I'm wondering if HP did something over the air that has restricted use to only HP?

Can someone here shed some light?

Mark

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm wondering if HP did something
This seems to be a not rare event for HP inkjet printers. HP will install a firmware update and bye-bye use of third party cartridges. At least that was my experience with a friend's All In One HP printer. He used cartridges from a local ink refill business called Rapid Refill.

It took another update or patch from HP before the aftermarket ink cartridges functioned. This was for the North America market. Don't know about other parts of the world.

So, your cartridges may or may not work even after HP "fixes" their self-induced issue. You may need to get new aftermarket chipped cartridges that specifically function with the new firmware "improvements".

Contact Costco and tell them of the problem with their cartridges. They may knew how to resolve the issue. Maybe they will give you knew cartridges. Don't know, but that is where I would start. Costco has a vested interest on keeping customers buying their stuff.

Let us know what happens.

markg2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've had the chip problem before and Costco knew of the problem when I came in and was working on the reverse engineering and did re-chip my returned cartridges several weeks later. With the virus mess I haven't been to the store--out of sight... I'll call the store today and see what they say.

I'm curious, isn't HP within their rights (regardless the impact) to block third party refills?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm curious, isn't HP within their rights (regardless the impact) to block third party refills?
In the USA, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act provides some protections to consumers (and sellers) of third party chipped cartridges or a variety of other parts/supplies. Think aftermarket Non-OEM motor oil, filters, bulbs, tires, etc for your car. What a nightmare that would be, not to mention un-American.

You can bet HP has the bean counters hard at work figuring out how long HP can shut down third party cartridge use before the lawsuits become to expensive. A portion of sales will occur before the third party cartridges get running again. Money in the bank! Or maybe HP doesn't care except to screw with customers. It isn't all a coincidence. :idunno

Here is a simple explanation, though you might want to Google the Act and read more:

https://shop.inkjetmall.com/usa-warranty-protection-act

markg2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This seems to be a not rare event for HP inkjet printers. HP will install a firmware update and bye-bye use of third party cartridges. At least that was my experience with a friend's All In One HP printer. He used cartridges from a local ink refill business called Rapid Refill.

It took another update or patch from HP before the aftermarket ink cartridges functioned. This was for the North America market. Don't know about other parts of the world.

So, your cartridges may or may not work even after HP "fixes" their self-induced issue. You may need to get new aftermarket chipped cartridges that specifically function with the new firmware "improvements".

Contact Costco and tell them of the problem with their cartridges. They may knew how to resolve the issue. Maybe they will give you knew cartridges. Don't know, but that is where I would start. Costco has a vested interest on keeping customers buying their stuff.

Let us know what happens.

Since the current problem is recent (since I last change a cartridge), I'm wondering if the problem is an update sent to both machines. I discarded that thought not seeing any Google complaints. Now I'm wondering... is it possible to force the printer to revert back to its previous software?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
reverse engineering
This is where third party chipped cartridges can get into trouble with US law. An exact, bit for bit, reverse engineered chip without permission may break copyright laws. Finding a different way of performing the function of the OEM chip may be OK.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm wondering if the problem is an update sent to both machines.
Probably, or, a time bomb in the current firmware.

is it possible to force the printer to revert back to its previous software?
Generally not from the consumer. HP is free to do anything they want with their updates, even if they revert to older firmware functioning. Generally, a reversion is due to a malfunction the new update causes. Then an updated firmware may actually revert to an earlier and safer version.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Since the current problem is recent (since I last change a cartridge), I'm wondering if the problem is an update sent to both machines.
A rule of thumb I use is… Never upgrade the printer firmware, with a little bit of help if necessary you can block any or all upgrades and prevent this from happening..
I would never have a HP printer even when given one for free…
Tip:- Try fitting an old empty HP cart and later then reinsert your current cart…

markg2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have no love for HP. We owned their stock long ago when it was still a decent company. But once HP started to no longer behave as HP, we dumped the stock on principle and that was at least 15 years ago. We tried getting away from HP printers several years ago. We bought a Cannon at Costco and the damn thing literally ate ink--returned. Then we bought an Epson (which I fondly remembered from the dot matrix days) at Costco. Just taking it out of the box and putting the tray in the machine felt like 'cr*p'. The print results were really subpar. Then the thing added a 'device' to our home network that I absolutely could not get rid of. And the printing wasn't great--returned. So, it was back to HP. If we cannot get a fix on this cartridge thing, with an 8740 and 8710, we just cannot afford to run the machines. And if we can get refills to work, I will see if the machine will allow being disconnected from the web. I doubt it will and also do wireless. But at this point I'd love to have that problem.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I will see if the machine will allow being disconnected from the web. I doubt it will and also do wireless.
What exactly is your goal(s)? To block Outgoing Connections, to block Incoming Connections, to remove a device?

If you are concerned about unwanted, unasked for firmware updates then you either want to block Outgoing or Incoming Connection(s) via your Firewall that are used by the printer software/firmware check for new firmware and/or send you the updated firmware. Knowing what to block is the hard part.

It may even be as simple as a setting in the printer's settings to turn off firmware upgrades.

As for Devices shown in your Network (LAN), if the printer's WiFi has been installed and is turned on, then the printer will show up as a device on the LAN. Similar may be if the printer is shared via a wireless router or plugged into your desktop computer.

More details would be helpful.