HP ink in Canon pixma mp830

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am retiring my HP c309a with cis and waste colostomy bottle to doing mundane tasks. Giving up because magenta in photo printing is poor.

I have pints of HP ink, dye for color and pigment black, and would like to use them up in the Canon.

Even though it may not print perfectly, I don't see any harm it can do since people are flushing windex and other stuff through.

I just got this mp830, with only two "low" ink carts, and have put an inquiry into Mapsy here in the States for resetter or auto-reset carts.

I am less familiar with Canon than HP, so catching up here after a year away.

I will be ordering ink, as she no longer supplies it, after some research. I think I will go with dye inks for indoor photo display. And pigment black for text.

Also got an Epson artisan 835 to learn about.

1. Do I need a resetter, or can I use some service mode?

2. How do I print the number of pages used, etc, I need to unzip the service manual, but just asking in case it is quicker.

Thanks!

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have done it the other way around, refilling HP ink cartridges with Canon inks, with great success. HP and Canon printers are based on a same print head technology. The inks are similar and moist likely interchangeable. Just do it with some attention to the condition of the print. Do nozzle checks to watch it closely.

Resetters for mp830 is cheap and available ob ebay. Just look for pgi-5 and cli-8 resetters. One resetter will reset both cartridges,

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It is normally not a good idea to use ink intended for one printer in a different printer. The reason that it is OK in this case is that the HP Photosmart c309a is very similar to some Canon printers. I think HP probably licensed the print head and cartridge technology from Canon.