HP Firmware Update and Third Party Ink Cartridges

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
Hi,

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a (CM749A) printer with 2014 firmware (CLP1CN1435AR version) and drivers dating back to 13/11/2015, to which I have installed four refillable cartridges purchased on Aliexpress.

The printer doesn't connect to a new wireless router with pmf function enabled and to solve it, an official Hp document suggests to update the firmware.

Can someone tell me if with the firmware update the compatible cartridges will stop working ?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
When it comes to corporate network security (if that's your case), well, most scenarios get rid of wireless and stay with wired networks (for security reasons).
I think there is some conflicting information - if you are on a corporate network you most likely wouldn't use refill/3rd party cartridges in the first place, and printing via WLAN is not a recommended mode of operation at all - I only can support @exploradorgt 's statement. Connect your printer(s) via LAN connections, and if some equipment does not have a LAN connection you may use a USB print server emulating an USB connection via LAN to a remote printer location.

DKirk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880, Canon TS6251&G6050
Can someone tell me if with the firmware update the compatible cartridges will stop working ?

Recent branding (in the UK) HP is mentioning "dynamic security" on their printer boxes. What this basically is saying, assuming you don't sign up for their 'instant ink' subscription plan, is that the printer will report back to them, and they could push a firmware update which blocks third party cartridges.