HP DeskJet D2560 went crazy

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of the forum for the last year and I've found a lot of useful stuff, but yesterday a problem occurred with my HP DeskJet D2560 and it's still unresolved. Please help.

Yesterday I've turned the printer on and it start making strange noises like a machine gun fire. I've made couples of copies (I needed them urgently) and that was it. The printer refused to do anything else. Couldn't print and did not respond to the power button. I had to disconnect it from the power cable. When I turn it on couple of minutes later it began checking itself, but didn't stop. It kept banging the printhead to the left wall of the printer (where usually the printhead stands still for a cartridge change). It kept doing that even I opened the cover. I still cannot turn it off unless I unplug the power cable.

Please assist!

Brand: HP
Model: DeskJet D2560
Cartridges: HP 300 Black / HP 300 Color - I've been using OEM cartridges only
Driver: Latest driver published by HP.com
Prints: I've printed a lot - black only as well as color pages (photo paper including)

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I have had two HP DeskJets do what you described and both times it was caused by corrupted drivers.

If it still does that after you unplug the printer from the computer you have a problem.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Could be drivers as Ron says.
I've had problems with HP drivers when more than one HP device is running (installed) on the same computer.
Each of course with its own driver set.

It was a PhotoSmart 7260 with a ScanJet 3400c. HP developed a patch for this known bug that affected other combinations of HP products as well.
Low-end stuff but eventually they worked OK for their owner.

You also might want to think mechanical failure such as a timing belt issue or gear failure.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'll update the driver and I'll turn the printer on while disconnected from the PC and I'll see if it helps.

Thanks for the replies guys

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
:( Had to bring it to the authorized repair service and they said they are going to exchange my printer with a new one :) Gotta love that HP!