HP cartridge ink capacity

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I know this is more like Canon printer forum, but I shoot anyway.
I'm reviewing some models from HP & Canon, but I'm a little confused with HP cartridge information.
According to HP, some cartridge (tri-color) like HP22 only has 5ml ink. Is this per color or total capacity for 3 colors ?

Some refill sites claim to have high-capacity 17ml tri-color (vs 5 ml HP).
But when I look at the size of the cartridge which is so small, there is no way they can fill in 17 ml per color (or 51 ml total).
But it is also difficult for me to believe that the original cartridge from HP only has an average of 1.7 ml of ink per color. That's totally ridiculuous.

Anybody knows the truth ?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, some Hp cartridges do have like 2ml of ink per color. Welcome to the new world of less expensive cartridges. Isn't that what consumers want? cartridges that cost less but more per ml? but look just as large. Hmmmmm nobody. Oh yeah, if anyone thinks I'm complaining about HP, check out Canon's PG40 and PG30.... see any similar tricks?

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
yeah. Gone HP. Welcome back Canon.
I'd stay with IP3500 or IP4500. Nothing can change my mind now.
I previously owned i865 which lasted for 2.5 years because the logicboard acted up.
I bought 1000ml bottle of ink, and I refilled them myself.
During that 2.5 years, I only needed to change 2 inktanks, which costed me only around $20. The printhead still printed like new.
That is the cheapest printing cost I ever had......even much cheaper than my expectation.