Hp 933 printing cyan?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree 100% with The Hat. The defective cartridge should be discarded, an attempted repair is too risky.

I have lost a Canon Pixma 4200 print head due to a leaking bad 3rd party cartridge. The leaked ink crept under the foil on the underside of the print head and created a short that took out some of the yellow nozzles.

You were lucky that your printer wasn't damaged by the leakage, but if the leakage happens again, you might not be so lucky next time.

Compare the cost of a new refillable cartridge to the cost of a new printer. You might win a cartridge or loose an expensive printer if you attempt to fix the cartridge. I wouldn't dare taking that risk.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
cardtest5.jpg 3colors.jpg any can analyse this test for me ?
cyan oem, others third party cartridges

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
At a glance all your colours are washed out for whatever reason, now that maybe down simply to your paper choice or print settings and some of the nozzles are not all firing consistently either, that can be seen on the CYM circle print (Enlarged).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
By comparing the uploaded test picture to the one from this post, saturation seems about the same, but colours are wrong due to cross contamination. As pointed out by The Hat there are also some nozzles failing, so I recommend doing some nozzle cleanings to correct the failing nozzles and get rid of the contaminated ink in the print head and possibly also ink feed lines.

A purge page might also help to get rid of contaminated ink, but the use of a purge page is risky with a thermal print head if there are ink flow issues or missing nozzles, as these print heads need a steady ink supply to cool the nozzles.

Last edited:

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
At a glance all your colours are washed out for whatever reason, now that maybe down simply to your paper choice or print settings and some of the nozzles are not all firing consistently either, that can be seen on the CYM circle print (Enlarged).
nooo @The Hat not because paper, its inks so pale ink tomorrow i ll scan photo sheets for you.
Peter BJ how many times can I do cleaning? because i do it for three times and there is little better results than before.
as note yellow 933 have some cyan ink in it just waiting till empty.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Sadly I don't know. If the printer fires the nozzles during the cleaning, there might be a risk of overheating if too many cleanings are done without a pause to cool down. So maybe it is a good idea to do only 2 cleanings and then let the print head cool for half an hour.? But I am guessing as I don't know this printer. Does anybody have any comments?

For Canon printers some recommend that you only do a few nozzle cleanings at a time and avoid the intensive cleaning as this stresses the print head more and uses more ink. A lot of cleaning will also use up a lot of the ink absorber capacity for a Canon printer. Maybe this also applies to your printer?