HP 6122 rejects generic cartridges

Ken1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I have an HP deskjet 6122 printer. I tried using generic color cartridges (#78) in it and they work perfectly until I use about 1/4 of the ink or so and then my printer starts giving an error message that states " Incorrect color cartridge, please install the correct HP color cartridge ". I tried cleaning the contacts, reinstalling the cartridge and resetting the ink level and nothing helps. When I install my old dried out genuine HP 78 cartridge, the error message disappears. When I reinstall the generic cartridge, the error reappears. I contacted the manufacturer of the generic cartridge and they instructed me to return it under warranty to the local retailer where I purchased it for another one; which I did, however the replacement did the same thing after the same amount of use. Anyone have this experience? Is there a cure for this? Or do I have to stick with genuine HP cartridges?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, the generics are genuine refilled HP cartridges. I don't recall the 78 printers having date codes on them.

Sounds to me that the refiller did not refill one the trickiest cartridges to refill properly.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is a resetting issue since the chance of getting a repeat number or ID on a remanufactured is nil unless you reman and buy it yourself!

What I have found is that somehow the HP can recognize when there is no ink in the head chamber. I wish Canon can do the same!

So what is happening there is that the remanufacturer is NOT refilling the 78 under a proper vacuum process or has the procedure wrong.
The 78 is a tricky cartridge to refill properly when you are short on proper equipment.

My recommendation is to try another brand.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It's happened twice to this fellow after it was accepted and printing fine for 1/4 of the level. Looks like it's running into a consistent air pocket that is common on both carts. He's even done the reset which eliminates the possibility of bad contacts since he would have needed 3 good insertion to complete the process.
Bad cartridge refills.