Hp 564xl print volume chips

James Barry

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp Photosmart, Epson Cx, Canon
It seems there are two types of chips available (maybe not) but some Hp 564's use a small chip while others of the same (say cyan 564xl) have differing chips. I did a bit of research and it would seem the smaller ones are newer and harder to exchange. My Question to the forum is this ... I purchased a lot of chips to do my refilling from two sepparate outfits and they are all the bigger ones. "Can the Bigger Chip be used in place of the Smaller chip and get the cartridge recognized for operating?? Help anyone ?? Ideas?? Sites??

akramjef

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p50 printer
ink cartridge 564xl contain more ink (14 ml) while 564 contain less ink (7.5 ml). so theoretically you can use it to replace the other chip.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The HP 564 cartridges or 364 in Europe have been made in different versions with different physical size of the chip. Here are 3 different versions of the HP 364 PGBK XL cartridges:

HP 364 PGBK XL.jpg

Depending on the bottom thickness of the cartridge it might be possible to file some material away to make room for the larger chip on a cartridge with the (newer?) smaller chip originally fitted.

akramjef

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p50 printer
whether it is small or large chip, the copper contact points must be placed in the same level of the original chip to avoid short circuit which may damage the print head.

James Barry

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
The HP 564 cartridges or 364 in Europe have been made in different versions with different physical size of the chip. Here are 3 different versions of the HP 364 PGBK XL cartridges:

View attachment 4735

Depending on the bottom thickness of the cartridge it might be possible to file some material away to make room for the larger chip on a cartridge with the (newer?) smaller chip originally fitted.

Thank you brother... This is the information I'm looking for, as I've a storage locker full of all my cartridges and some require the chip.bi went online and bought a whole bunch of chips to refill (and set) a number of units but when they came they were all "Big" chips and most if not all are the small ones. This should help.
Now one more question your just might know?.?. How can you be sure you've got the chip (a) in the right place and (b) will make contact with whatever it does inside?

James Barry

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
whether it is small or large chip, the copper contact points must be placed in the same level of the original chip to avoid short circuit which may damage the print head.
So a filing will be required to keep the new chip flat.. Great news.

James Barry

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
ink cartridge 564xl contain more ink (14 ml) while 564 contain less ink (7.5 ml). so theoretically you can use it to replace the other chip.
I don't have any
unfortunately I don't have any useable small chips that are not already showing empty, so that's why I bought a largevnu
ink cartridge 564xl contain more ink (14 ml) while 564 contain less ink (7.5 ml). so theoretically you can use it to replace the other chip.[/QUOTE
Unfortunately I don't have any chips of the smaller size that are not akready at zero (empty) status and that's why I bought a bunch of chips which all came in the large size. But thanks.

James Barry

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model

View attachment 4735

The tape is used as a leakage precaution I see. Good idea.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@James Barry, If you spread the bag of 3rd party chips out on a table, you can then note the code number on the back of each chip, each colour should have its own individual number, after checking each chip, stack the numbers in separate piles, then it’s only a matter of trial and error...

Latest posts