hp 564 ciss question

ejonesss

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
the story:

i just got a good deal at staples this week trade in old printer for new one.

i just ordered a hp photosmart premium aio that uses the 564 cartridges because the previous printer i had the business 1100 quit working.

the questions:

i was wondering how does the printer know that the cartridges are refillable or even the Continuous ink system and not a normal single use cartridge?

most of the hp 564 compatible ciss's i have looked at require you to transfer the chip from the original oem cartridges to the refillable or ciss cartridges and i thought to my self that defeats the purpose of the ciss because the printer after 1 cartridge worth of ink used would complain it is empty and stop working (maybe ok for those printerphiles out there who demand the best quality and is not satisfied with the oem ink and cartridges quality).

i like the 564 because the cartridges sit atop the printhead and can gravity feed instead of syphoning through tubes from the cartridges to the printheads.

of course the ciss still has tubes for the ink to syphon from the tanks to the cartridges but i can periodically monitor to make sure the flow is ok.

does the chips on the cartridges track the ink level?

also looking at some google results it looks like the 564 uses epson stylus chips and i do have a resetter for the epson stylus chips.

furstrated

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i think the printer will give a warning of low or no ink but will still print anyway with a prompt
so you can just ignore the warning or disable the low ink warning

tsiya

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You will probably need to transfer the chips, be careful and it's not hard to do. My D5460 gave an empty cartridge warning a couple of times, you just push the OK button. It doesn't do that now, just keeps printing. I've done a lot of photo printing with no problems at all. Unless HP has changed something the printer won't stop working.