HP 1200 is a lousy printer

boscov

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
That's the title of someone else's:( feedback, and that's my feedback, too. It gave me every kind of trouble. More details soon; here is the result. After days of emails and 7 pages of fix-it instructions for my brand new printer, HP finally said the printer was bad. They would take back my new printer, give me a refurbished printer, out of warranty, if I paid them $35.00. Why? - usual trade practice for bad goods is a new replacement, compensation for other costs, and an apology.

Here are the faults: out of the box, this "business" printer is flimsy plastic; the USB doesn't connect without much tinkering; the open cover warning light comes on (with the covers taped down); the no-ink light comes on (for a new printer, with all cartridges seated hard); the network warning light comes on (but there is no network). Sometimes there is one warning light, sometimes two, and sometimes all of them come on, even the ones that couldn't apply.

Those times when I tinker enough to get all the warning lights off, those times that come after repeatedly pulling the power line and the USB cable, and I send output to the printer, then I get the message, 'Error - Printing'. There is no explanation anywhere. But there is no printing at all.

I got printing after 3 emails with 7 pages of instructions plus a web page for a download and install. But the margins can't be fixed, and it prints an extra blank page after each good one. And that is the final, good news.

Do you get the feeling that the hardware on the 1200 is junk, and the software is really bad?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You don't say where you live, but in the UK you take a faulty unit back to the dealer you purchased it from - not to the manufacturer - for an exchange or full refund. That's the law.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
In the US the dealer usually will tell you to take it to the manufacturer, except if a dealer has a money back warranty for a short period of time. You can only return or exchange within that period of time. But Fry's electronic in California seems willing to go an extra mile for exchange but not return. I was able to exchange for a defective printer slightly over 30 days. I got a new replacement after answering a question (what's wrong with the printer?) and signing a form they produced from their computer.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In Australia there is the law Bill of sales, It is quite specific about protecting the customer if goods are not to a customer's liking for the application or is faulty.

Most large companies will refund or replace in a reasonable time with no questions asked provided a docket is produced and obviously if the product does not appear badly treated.

I have a couple of stores I feel confident in buying from, not always because its cheaper. I support the store that supports me.

Terry